Chinese Langshans

Fascinating trying to find the way through history, and what was real versus legend. I remember seeing another older source writing about importing to the US, if I remember correctly, and how much variation there was in the original birds in China. I can see the possibility of some selected breeding from a Buddhist monastery developing a gentle beautiful bird like what is described in the literature, and as you say, eventually using the Langshan descriptor for all the regional birds and losing the original stock in favor of traits more apt to survive outside of a sheltered environment?

Fascinating trying to find the way through history, and what was real versus legend. I remember seeing another older source writing about importing to the US, if I remember correctly, and how much variation there was in the original birds in China. I can see the possibility of some selected breeding from a Buddhist monastery developing a gentle beautiful bird like what is described in the literature, and as you say, eventually using the Langshan descriptor for all the regional birds and losing the original stock in favor of traits more apt to survive outside of a sheltered environment?
The problem with the theory of coming from Chinese Buddhist monastery is that, Chinese Buddhist monks are vegans. They are now allowed to eat meat. Keeping livestocks are also known as imprisoning the creatures. Therefore, Buddhist monastery usually don't have livestocks.

Chinese people like eating chickens know as "走地鸡” “zou di ji". Meaning, chickens that runs about. Chinese people believe that chickens that free range absorbs all the qi from the earth, giving the meat special benefits and the meat tastes more juicy. Therefore, they believe that raising chickens until they are near wild makes tastier chickens.

Chickens in China like such as the Cochin, and silkies are also raised like this. Their legs are also featherless. Therefore, what were the original stocks like? We really do not know.

China as you know has been through decades of war and destruction. The Cultural Revolution was when most were lost. For example the pekins are non-existent in modern China; because they were ornamental birds and a reminder of what "old China" use to be they were wiped out in the 60's. Not just chickens. Dogs like Shar pei does not exist in China today. Shih tzu, pekingese, chow chow also faced the same problem during the cultural revolution. They like the Langshans, only survived because some were hidden in rural areas that not a lot of people goes to.

The problem with the theory of coming from Chinese Buddhist monastery is that, Chinese Buddhist monks are vegans. They are now allowed to eat meat. Keeping livestocks are also known as imprisoning the creatures. Therefore, Buddhist monastery usually don't have livestocks.

Chinese people like eating chickens know as "走地鸡” “zou di ji". Meaning, chickens that runs about. Chinese people believe that chickens that free range absorbs all the qi from the earth, giving the meat special benefits and the meat tastes more juicy. Therefore, they believe that raising chickens until they are near wild makes tastier chickens.

Chickens in China like such as the Cochin, and silkies are also raised like this. Their legs are also featherless. Therefore, what were the original stocks like? We really do not know.

China as you know has been through decades of war and destruction. The Cultural Revolution was when most were lost. For example the pekins are non-existent in modern China; because they were ornamental birds and a reminder of what "old China" use to be they were wiped out in the 60's. Not just chickens. Dogs like Shar pei does not exist in China today. Shih tzu, pekingese, chow chow also faced the same problem during the cultural revolution. They like the Langshans, only survived because some were hidden in rural areas that not a lot of people goes to.
I was wondering about the effects of the Cultural Revolution, good to know. And also, your comment about Buddhists being vegans… I remember seeing a reference in one of these old articles about the chickens being used for sacrifices, which also seemed highly unlikely for a Buddhist monastery. Language difficulties?

I was wondering about the effects of the Cultural Revolution, good to know. And also, your comment about Buddhists being vegans… I remember seeing a reference in one of these old articles about the chickens being used for sacrifices, which also seemed highly unlikely for a Buddhist monastery. Language difficulties?
Beside Buddhism, China also has Taoist temples, Confucian temples, ancestral temples etc. China is a polytheistic society, all other religious temples does animal sacrifices. Even, Chinese Christians sacrifice animals.

But, if it's monastery it's most likely Taoist temples. Chinese temples is written as “庙” miao. In old English translation it's translated to monastery.

Beside Buddhism, China also has Taoist temples, Confucian temples, ancestral temples etc. China is a polytheistic society, all other religious temples does animal sacrifices. Even, Chinese Christians sacrifice animals.

But, if it's monastery it's most likely Taoist temples. Chinese temples is written as “庙” miao. In old English translation it's translated to monastery.
So that could make sense, a regional breeding up to a kind of archetypal, symbolic version of a fowl, with as much beauty and nobility possible for sacrificial purposes?

So that could make sense, a regional breeding up to a kind of archetypal, symbolic version of a fowl, with as much beauty and nobility possible for sacrificial purposes?
Chinese sacrifices are not like how the western world interprets sacrifices. Chinese sacrifices do not use live animals, because that practice has been banned by the Ming Dynasty emperor Yingzong in 1439. The whole chicken instead is turned into a dish, such as roasted, braised, boiled, steamed, etc. So breeding it for looks and plumage for the use of sacrifices doesn't make sense if you are going to cook and kill the bird.

However, I do know that the Langshan white was bred for cockfighting in pre-modern China. I also suspect that the white descended from the blacks at one point. Therefore, I believe that in order to have a good fighting bird, you have to breed it to look magnificent so it can intimidate it's opponents. My theory is if the whites descended from the blacks, then when you improve the whites for cockfighting you have to improve the parent stocks as well. Since there might be a possibility you might need to breed back to get rid of some unwanted traits.

Well, whatever the reason they were developed, it is sad for me that the original characteristics are no longer available in China. When I first acquired Langshans, I was somewhat dismayed to find that they, like most show animals, had been bred with little regard for retaining function, and dreamed of revitalizing the breed through outcrosses to stock from China, but it looks like now they are a different breed altogether.

Well, whatever the reason they were developed, it is sad for me that the original characteristics are no longer available in China. When I first acquired Langshans, I was somewhat dismayed to find that they, like most show animals, had been bred with little regard for retaining function, and dreamed of revitalizing the breed through outcrosses to stock from China, but it looks like now they are a different breed altogether.
They do seem like a different breed, however I suspect that western Langshan might have mixed with Cochins on the ships when they were being shipped back to Europe back in the 1800's. Hence the difference.

In my opinion, you should still try to get some Chinese birds. It doesn't matter if they are Western Langshan, Chinese Langshan, or Croad Langshan. They all descended from that region. Which makes them a Langshan. Besides, modern Chinese Langshan can swim. Won't it be interesting to have chickens that behaves like ducks in your backyard?

They do seem like a different breed, however I suspect that western Langshan might have mixed with Cochins on the ships when they were being shipped back to Europe back in the 1800's. Hence the difference.

In my opinion, you should still try to get some Chinese birds. It doesn't matter if they are Western Langshan, Chinese Langshan, or Croad Langshan. They all descended from that region. Which makes them a Langshan. Besides, modern Chinese Langshan can swim. Won't it be interesting to have chickens that behaves like ducks in your backyard?
I started with some Langshans, but then added Svarthonas and some BBS Ameraucanas, letting them mix it up. They are all great free rangers. These are the two cockbirds, one a fibro F1 Langshan over Svarthona, and the newest, not yet a year old, straight Langshan. I wonder if the F1 direction would be popular in China, black bones plus Langshan looks?
Although, it would be fantastic if they could swim!

Attachments

• E0CE7B29-AE85-4A24-A709-B073069BD218.jpeg
    E0CE7B29-AE85-4A24-A709-B073069BD218.jpeg
    590.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 6594BD3E-EBBC-4371-B627-7FD3147F2407.jpeg
    6594BD3E-EBBC-4371-B627-7FD3147F2407.jpeg
    596.6 KB · Views: 2
I started with some Langshans, but then added Svarthonas and some BBS Ameraucanas, letting them mix it up. They are all great free rangers. These are the two cockbirds, one a fibro F1 Langshan over Svarthona, and the newest, not yet a year old, straight Langshan. I wonder if the F1 direction would be popular in China, black bones plus Langshan looks?
Although, it would be fantastic if they could swim!
Very majestic looking birds. I believe your F1 would be popular. I believe they would like the Svarthona cross too. You know how Chinese people loves their black boned chicken.

There are actually a type of black boned chicken that is not silkie that exists in China. They are called the 德化黑鸡 Dehua Black Chicken. But they are difficult to raise because they love warm weather. They are also small birds.

Attachments

• 0df431adcbef7609a1e6d22f22dda3cc7dd99e95.jpeg
    0df431adcbef7609a1e6d22f22dda3cc7dd99e95.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom