Chinese Langshans

Wangxian520

Songster
Jan 23, 2021
I just discovered a Chinese documentary on the Langshans on YouTube. Apparently in China, featherless legged Langshans are the standard. They are bred to retain their wild junglefowl instinct hence the roosters are quite aggressive. They are also bred to retain their flight abilities this they are raised in the mountains. Apart from that they are also bred to be able to swim.

You can watch it here :

(No English subtitles though ☹️)

Cool. Too bad it's in Chinese, because I don't know how to speak Chinese. It's really interesting though! It's like the Silkies. The Chinese Silkies. In China, they're bigger. In fact, when I got my TSC Silkies, I first called them Chinese Silkies until I discovered that over here on BYC, everybody just calls the TSC Silkies.

Dang, I wish this had subtitles. I would love to know what's being said
It basically talks about the breeding standards of the chicken. In China the feather legged Langshan are culled. The only recognized color is black. The rooster are breed to retain an agressive temperament, because they are raised in the mountains hence there are predators. Because the Langshan mountains has a lot of creeks and bodies of water. The Chinese Langshan are breed to be able to swim.

It basically talks about the breeding standards of the chicken. In China the feather legged Langshan are culled. The only recognized color is black. The rooster are breed to retain an agressive temperament, because they are raised in the mountains hence there are predators. Because the Langshan mountains has a lot of creeks and bodies of water. The Chinese Langshan are breed to be able to swim.

I think I would actually prefer Langshans without feathered legs, so I get where they are coming from haha. I don't know about the aggressiveness, I actually really like how the Croad Langshan (my favorite Langshan to date) is known as a really sweet and friendly bird. But I get why they do it.

As far as I know the Croad Langshan are the closest to the original bird type from China, does that mean that you could potentially breed naked leg Croads as well?

I think I would actually prefer Langshans without feathered legs, so I get where they are coming from haha. I don't know about the aggressiveness, I actually really like how the Croad Langshan (my favorite Langshan to date) is known as a really sweet and friendly bird. But I get why they do it.

As far as I know the Croad Langshan are the closest to the original bird type from China, does that mean that you could potentially breed naked leg Croads as well?
Yes, you can. Since the original stocks were naked legged there are chicks that are going to be born naked legged. This is probably what they call reverting back to ancestry. Also, environment is another factor, since the Langshan in China is bred as a water bird, a wet and moist environment will cause the feathered leg to be a liability and the bird will shed the feathers (you can kinds of see it as evolution or adaption to environment.)

I just looked up information on Baidu about Langshan. Apparently, there are three original Langshan colors. They are Black, White, and Red. They all are naked legged. These naked legged are called the "original generation". Then you have the new generation, which are feather legged but have feather footed Cochin mixed in it. Langshan in China are a meat bird. Hence, by breeding Cochin to them created a bird with more body mass.

023b5bb5c9ea15ce6217d187b6003af33b87b246.jpeg

These are the Chinese standards for Langshan. The white kind is slim compared to the black. The white Langshan rooster was bred for cockfighting, hence the they had a name called "white wolf warrior" since Langshan translates to Wolf Mountain.

Back
Top Bottom