Chicks in the rain

nnheacox

In the Brooder
May 11, 2024
We moved out first flock out to their coop on Saturday and it’s going to rain tomorrow and Tuesday. Temps are going to stay 60+, but I’m worried about them getting wet and cold. Am I being overly concerned?

We moved out first flock out to their coop on Saturday and it’s going to rain tomorrow and Tuesday. Temps are going to stay 60+, but I’m worried about them getting wet and cold. Am I being overly concerned?
How old are they?
If they’ve been weaned from the heat lamp then they should be fine, I’d just make sure to keep an eye on them.

They’re about 6 weeks. I do have a couple of chicks who are closer to 3 weeks, though.
That’s around when I move my littles out, (six weeks)
I wouldn’t worry about it, they can huddle for warmth if they have to but 60s aren’t too cool.
Is it possible for you to keep them inside of the coop because of the rain? I doubt they’d go out in it but you never know.

Since the temps are going to be 60+, and they're able to get to the coop/shelter, I would. They may be dumb yet and get a little wet before they figure out they should run for cover, but it's not cold so they'd huddle up and dry off.

The three-week-old ones worry me though unless they've been hanging out with the older ones and know how to get to shelter. The rain will hit their skin and if in a brooder would be at around 75-80F, now wet and 60F isn't good.

Back
Top Bottom