Chickens have figured out the Spring Feeder.

Life of Eric

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2013
Anderson, SC
My Coop
My Coop

Just posting this short clip before I paste together all the other ones from today.
There is a definite learning curve for the chickens, but after a couple of hours, and stealing their normal feeder from them, and slapping it for them several times, they have finally figured it out.

So why did I buy this thing when the chickens were doing fine with the Amazon Bucket Feeder?
Currently we cap the feeder every night to prevent insects or mice from getting in there. I'd like to get an automated door so we don't have to wake up at 6:45 am to let the chickens out, and I didn't see the point of getting an auto door if I have to go out and uncap the feeder in the morning anyways, so I started looking for a mouse proof feeder design.
This design should keep mice and insects out and let the chickens start eating as soon as their door opens up in the morning.

This feeder cost about $15 (not counting the bucket) and is apparently only made by one company in the UK. It is available on Amazon at:
https://amzn.to/3Bc51OV

I also have a video of how I made the feeder and its support arm if you are interested.

Hope this helps

Screenshot_2022-09-03_22-30-24.png

In case you don't know what a spring feeder is. Its basically this gadget plus the bucket of your choice.

I followed up on this feeder on a different post for some reason.
If you are using pellets or crumble, I don't recommend this feeder.
The pellets seem to come out the top more than the bottom, and after a few weeks the pellets at the bottom became moldy.
I posted a video review at:

I followed up on this feeder on a different post for some reason.
If you are using pellets or crumble, I don't recommend this feeder.
The pellets seem to come out the top more than the bottom, and after a few weeks the pellets at the bottom became moldy.
I posted a video review at:

That's too bad! Hopefully you didn't lose too much feed.

Get a treadle feeder. But first research and not on Amazon. Google chicken feeder reviews, ignore all that have Amazon links as they are saying anything to get those referral commissions. Skip the first page, those are the paid ads and shills pushing Amazon links, by the second or third page you will run across actual customers that blog or do reviews to help others. Good luck and thank you for posting the follow up post explaining why this didn't work out. You might want to edit that post as a lot of folks don't read all the posts in a thread. I would remove that link as it helps the google ranking for a very poor product.

Back
Top Bottom