kfsilver

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
I have a hen who has been the one who runs up to me, demanding that I carry her around, talking to her, as I examine the pasture. She is the one who will run to me when she has a feather out of place, and bawk at me until I fix it. She is feeling down, and I am worried. I love her.

The facts:

1) My chicken is a Black Sumatra, who is six years old, and heavier than normal (due, I assume, to swollen belly). Her belly, however, is soft. Her vent area is the same. Swollen, but soft. Not obstruction noted, even with slight probing (olive oil lubricated gloved finger).

2) Chicken is still alert, and moving around, but not nearly as active as before. She is a hen who would run up to me, calling, and seek to be picked up. This has not happened in the last 24 hours, which is extremely abnormal for her. Her tail has also been down for the recent 12 hours.

3) My hen has had a soft swollen belly for the past three or four days. Her slowness and tail being down is within the past 12 hours. No other birds are exhibiting symptoms, nor does she have other signs of trauma.

4) She does not exhibit bleeding, broken bones, or other signs of trauma. The only external factor I can think of for her, is she has recently restarted laying after a few months of not (normal for her, as she goes broody often and then has "dry" periods).

5) My chickens are free range, so monitoring their food and drink is a bit more difficult, but she has seemed to be eating and drinking as normal. Her poop has appeared normal, but been larger and also less frequent. She is a hen who would poop (no matter how small) before stepping foot inside my house, or being picked up, but she does not seem to be doing the smaller poops. Only larger.

6) Treatment has not been administered, but her vent area has been recently cleaned of any residual poop stuck on her feathers. She does NOT have vent gleet.

She is my cuddle hen, the one who loves to be held and carried around. She is a pet to me, and as such I am unwilling to trust myself to do many of the manual treatments. I will have a vet look at her, but at the same time I want to know what to guide the vet to look for, as well as understand possible "easy" treatments (i.e. I am not going to need to stick needles in her, which I do not trust myself to do, but I will be willing to isolate and give special diets, for example). She currently has free range of an acre of backyard pastureland, and the coop is a fully enclosed structure with pine shavings or straw bedding, depending on what is available (I do also try to alternate). They are closed up at night. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Read the article I posted and see if that seems to fit.
It does, unfortunately. :( She is also a hen very prone to stress (feather plucking is an issue with her).

Thank you, this gives me some idea of what to talk to the vet about.

Seems the standard treatment is for the vet to drain it with a needle but it typically comes back because there is an underlying cause (including a bad heart which is why fluid accumulates). I had a leghorn that had ascities for quite some time (a year or so) before succumbing.

If it were my bird and I was going to the vet I would probably ask about getting a generic diuretic drug to keep the fluid from coming back as quickly. Many vets may not think of it if you don't ask. One possible drug is Furosemide which is used in avian medicine, the vet may not have it but can write a script and it is probably available at a local pharmacy or walmart.

See more about Furosemide at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/furosemide

Thank you for the links. I'll keep the diuretic option in mind, depending on her overall prognosis.

How did your leghorn react to the draining? Was her quality of life greatly impacted, still?

What'd you end up doing @kfsilver ?

My hen is showing similar symptoms. 4 years old. Top hen.

She's done this before-- slowed down, hid in a corner for several days-- then one day she was fine again (I introduced a bunch of diamaceous earth into her feed and dewormer into her water, no idea if that helped). Not sure if the problem this time is the same.

Also not sure if isolating her now is the best option-- might cause more stress. One of the other hens always stands next to her as if to comfort or defend her.

I'm afraid I might not be much help with this. I set a vet appointment, but all vets in my area that would see a chicken were booked. The best I could get was two weeks out. By the time the appointment came around, her belly was back to normal and she was her old (angry) self again, so I canceled the appointment.

About a week later she was having difficulty laying, and after a soak in a warm bath she did lay an extremely soft-shelled egg. My guess is that she had an internal lay, but for whatever reason was able to reabsorb it and not get too much of an infection. Sorry, not much help. :(

If she does show these signs again, I will be making a vet appointment and hoping that they aren't booked so far out, as I am not going to risk her getting so lucky again.

I ended up not isolating her through this, because none of the others were showing signs of disease and she was still able to move about enough to reach various shelters and get out of the sun, and was still eating and drinking. Since she is top hen of a smaller flock (six members right now), I also didn't worry about anyone ganging up on her.

I hope your little one gets better soon, it's so hard to see them suffering.

Thanks for the information! I'll try a warm bath. Seems like my hen's issues come and go too... Fingers crossed.

It sounds like there are two routes this can take: (1) they get better on their own or (2) they go downhill.

I wish there was more information on hen health. Don't understand why so many of these girls get the same health problems and they're so hard to treat.

Back
Top Bottom