Chicken math is calling!

My finger is tired from clicking the laughie button.

Anywho, I was so proud of myself that I was really selective to get numbers way down before our move a few months back. What a tough minded chicken farmer! So strong, so brave!
Was it my fault everyone had gone broody? Noo, not my decision!
I got the adults subtracted down until everyone was a named birdie. Even if one was "Purple Leg Band".
When our new neighbors asked how many chickens we have....
Umm...
About 20 adults?? (I was good, right?) Do chicks count?
A month later I filled 4 cages with a few birds in each to sell to a guy.
Afterwards, looked out in the yard and see the same 20 chickens, give or take. 🤔
Purple leg bad is a perfectly acceptable name for a bird! My very first chickens were named things like Big Bird, Little Bird, Red bird, Yellow Bird, etc. and honestly they were the easiest of all the birds I’ve had to remember who was who. 🤷🏻‍♀️

😬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums that’s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I don’t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely don’t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and I’m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those in….
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, it’s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing them…
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrow…..
I have only 9 too, surely that's enough for my family right?? I can't possibly need anymore, especially every egg color to complete my egg assortment right?? It never hurts just to go look a little, not buy, just look a little tiny bit right?? 🤞 🤣

I have 4, which is also enough. . .

Except that 2 of them don't really lay reliably. . .

And 1 is already 4 years old. . .

So I ordered 2 pullets. . .

And they KNEW about chicken math, and sent an email asking me if I wanted a third one, which was SO not fair. . .

So a bigger coop it is, and 7 chickens.

I completely sympathize. There are so many chickens to have, and so little self-control, I mean, TIME. So little TIME.

You are silly! It takes the exact same amount of time to care for 7 chickens as it does to care for 14 chickens! 😆

I wish i coild have roosters, but i cant, yet.

I would love to hatch my own.
Im working with two amazing breeders though. Ill be getting more eggs in April!
Yay! How exciting.
I do like to have the Roos around, (at least one). It’s so comical to see him race across the yard when someone starts singing the egg song!

😬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums that’s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I don’t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely don’t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and I’m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those in….
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, it’s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing them…
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrow…..
Oh yes!! You are funny! I can hear myself in there. However, I find I only need a hen per person in residence. I don’t eat eggs every day but every other. Spare hen as a “just in case” and you’re covered. With your neighbours also having eggs, you will not run short. But they are cute so.. good luck!😉

Back
Top Bottom