Chicken has a leg sprain

Nazmus

Chirping
Feb 5, 2022
Hello
I have a broiler chick 4months old
2days ago in the morning I saw it completely fine
We normally keep it inside a cage at night and at day it remains open in my room
I checked it in the morning and it was fine walked and run around perfectly fine
About 10min later I heard a scream I went to check again and then I noticed a problem
It was having trouble walking
It walked a little and jumped to make balance maybe in pain

I don't know what could have happened between these 10mins to cause this problem

Since then I am keeping it in cage for 2days now
But no signs of improvement

Still having trouble walking

It can stand and remains standing most of the time but whenever walks the problem can be noticed

It is similar to when we humans get sprain and can't walk properly

It is still eating well drinking well behaving completely normal
I checked its leg multiple times but no swelling wound was there

I have had another chick with this problem before but I trapped that for about 5hours and it was healed

This time it is not showing improve

What should I do now

Vets are not available in my country specially for birds
The only place I can ask is gov helpline call center but didn't get much help from there till now

Is this a fast growing breed? Some meat breeds grow so fast and get so heavy leg problems develop. I've had meat birds just lay by the feeder and eat until they were butchered. This bothered me and I no longer raise them.

Otherwise, sprains often correct themselves in days.

Is this a fast growing breed? Some meat breeds grow so fast and get so heavy leg problems develop. I've had meat birds just lay by the feeder and eat until they were butchered. This bothered me and I no longer raise them.

Otherwise, sprains often correct themselves in days.
Yes these are meat birds
But we raised them without any factory feed so they didn't grow fast
Still quite small
They behave like normal chicken more interested to run around rather than eating . I also said it wrong they are 6 months old now ..... The problem only seems to be in the right leg ..most of the time it remains standing when in cage ..so it's almost unnoticed ..but whenever I free it..it is struggling to walk ... no bumblefoot or any swelling
It's almost a week now no improvement

It still drinks and eats just fine
It was all fine in the morning but suddenly screamed and then I noticed leg problem

Back
Top Bottom