Chicken feathers stripped - what is causing this?

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
Here are the back/tail feathers of my 49 week old Ancona - she and the 53 week old WL both are looking like these pictures. What could be causing this feather issue and patches where feathers are missing completely? The rest of the flock do not appear to be affected.

What is this and how do I help?

This pic is blurry but shows best the location of the affected area - at the base of the tail feathers on the back

These two pics show best the thin shafts sticking out. Ignore the white flecks of stuff - that's from her dust bathing in the in the shavings.
You can also see in this top pic just before the damaged feathers - the bald spot where her yellow skin shows. Both WL and AC have these areas. I'ved dusted them with Sevin just in case it's a mite issue.

I have noticed a couple of my 40 week old Lavender Orpingtons have broken feathers - the outer half of the feather is missing like it was cut in two - but I assumed that was from fighting with each other since I witnessed my broody grab one of the feather and yank when she got too close to the babies.

Here are the back/tail feathers of my 49 week old Ancona - she and the 53 week old WL both are looking like these pictures. What could be causing this feather issue and patches where feathers are missing completely? The rest of the flock do not appear to be affected.

What is this and how do I help?

This pic is blurry but shows best the location of the affected area - at the base of the tail feathers on the back

These two pics show best the thin shafts sticking out. Ignore the white flecks of stuff - that's from her dust bathing in the in the shavings.
You can also see in this top pic just before the damaged feathers - the bald spot where her yellow skin shows. Both WL and AC have these areas. I'ved dusted them with Sevin just in case it's a mite issue.

I have a hen that started that way last year. She is 2 now, and most of her feathers are doing that. SHe has not molted that i know of, and almost looks like a bunch of sticks for feathers. I hope you find out why your girl is doing this. I was told it could be picking from another hen, protien defic. I watched for the picking - none, and raised her protien levels - still the same too.

I have a hen that started that way last year. She is 2 now, and most of her feathers are doing that. SHe has not molted that i know of, and almost looks like a bunch of sticks for feathers. I hope you find out why your girl is doing this.   I was told it could be picking from another hen, protien defic. I watched for the picking - none, and raised her protien levels - still the same too.

Interesting. I would think if it were picking from another hen then there would be broken feathers rather than stripped. I've seen picked feathers and essentially they were snapped off ends. My broody would pick at anyone getting too close to her babies.

As far as protein, she has layer feed crumbles and access to Mannapro chick starter medicated which I've seen her eating both at times. They get scrambled eggs from time to time and mealy worms pretty regularly. Of course all manner of bugs and stuff she snatches up from free ranging.

I also give them supplements like Kickin Chicken on occassion. And electrolytes I their water as needed.

I wondered if it was some sort of feather mite that was stripping the feathers like bugs will strip trees of their leaves.

I decided since more of my under one year old flock are starting to get a similar look to their feathers, that I would treat for depluming mites. I've researched this and I don't see any other evidence of any other kinds of mites. My girls continue to lay and eat fine. But now my silkie roo is loosing his crown and beard feathers. Maybe it's a feather picker, but I don't know who that would be. I've not witnessed it happening.

So today I bathed everyone in dog flea shampoo except the broodies who are separated and the 10 week olds.
Tomorrow I will treat the coop with sevin dust. Hopefully this will kill the feather mites and give my girls and boy some relief.

Our beautiful old English Roo's feathers have been stripped and all the rest of his feather seem shaved off.... There are no signs of mites and none of the others are having this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

I have this same issue with one of my hens. The others look fine. I've increased their diet adding more protein, Diatomatious Earth, etc and she still has it. She eats well, friendly and I never see any picking from others. Have you found a cause or cure for this?

Back
Top Bottom