chicken door/entrance through bottom of coop?

eastvanchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Vancouver
Hello,

We are converting our child's playhouse into a chicken coop (for two chickens). The playhouse (4x4) is on stilts and sits atop a 6x4 sandbox which will become the run (teaching our child the meaning of sharing -- or at least giving to the vulnerable;)).

Could we have an entrance through a door on the bottom? Access would be via ramp. How large a hole? Given the run will be very secure is a door necessary?

Thanks in advance.

25271_100_3600.jpg

Door at bottom is fine! (mine is 18x12 depends on size chickens I have Brahmas)

I suggest 3 chickens! In case something happens to 1 there are still 2! Chickens are very socal!

Have Fun!
Joanne

Thanks. Would I need a door?

Yes we are wavering on the number. The plan was to introduce a new chicken every few years as egg production dropped off. Sheepishly we have to admit that they will be pets more than anything though -- and thus will hopefully live out long lives passed the laying years... The plan (maybe not the most thought out) was to get another older chicken (post laying) if the worst happened.

You can do it if you *have* to (and your situation may be an example of that) but it is really best if there's any way to avoid it, because you lose a lot of what little floorspace there *is*, and also a lot of bedding will be lost down the hole.

I would for sure put a door on it, unless you are going to bend over backwards predatorproofing the downstairs AND be really really lucky not to have predators find whatever vulnerabilities remain (cuz there *will* be some).

A hole 12x18" would probably be usable -- have a 'step' underneath it (not a ramp, a stepstool type thing) that they can hop down onto and up from. If you use a ramp you need a longer hole and thus lose even more floorspace.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks. Before conversion we'll think about this some more. This is sitting on a concrete pad and being in the middle of the city (Vancouver) the main predators will be wiley raccoons and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom