Chick with large crop, skinny, lethargic, decreased appetite

Shaina625

Hatching
May 2, 2024
Hello, first time chickie mom here. We got our chicks about a week and a half ago (not sure exactly how old the one in questions is). 2 days ago, we noticed our easter egger was pretty lethargic, puffed up, not standing, didn't want to eat. She's slowly getting better....I've separated her for 24 hours, given her save a chick electrolytes, syringe fed her gruel and kitten food (mixed with the electrolytes). Yesterday I put her back with her flock and kept a close eye on her (everyone's behaving and not picking on her and she's pretty happy to be back with them). I'm checking on her frequently, pulling her out and feeding her. This morning, I put her near the food and water and she has started to eat and drink a little bit on her own. She's slowly getting better and is a little more energetic and alert. I'm also making sure she walks around a little bit, which she will do. Her stool is white and clear.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed her crop is big and soft. I decided to just keep an eye on it, but today it's still big. I've massaged it a little bit and it doesn't seem to bother her, but also not going down in size. I have noticed she's skinny too so whatever is going on has been going on for a little while and just caught up with her.

I'm currently feeding them medicated crumbles, they have shavings as bedding.

I'm not sure what to do about this big crop? I know it's a symptom of a bigger issue (since she's skinny) which I'm trying to figure out.....any help is appreciated!!

Everyone else is doing well, she's the only one that is sick.

Attachments

• Chickie 3.jpg
    Chickie 3.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Chickie 2.jpg
    Chickie 2.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Chickie 1.jpg
    Chickie 1.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 1
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Your chick might have ingested some of the bedding which is now obstructing the passage of her crop contents.

You can provide granite grit chick size to help digesting it and Coca Cola instead of water as a dissolving agent. The sugar will help to perk her up as well.

How does her vent look, is it clean? In case any poop gets stuck you need to ckean it off several times throughout the day.

I hope she will get better soon! :fl

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Your chick might have ingested some of the bedding which is now obstructing the passage of her crop contents.

You can provide granite grit chick size to help digesting it and Coca Cola instead of water as a dissolving agent. The sugar will help to perk her up as well.

How does her vent look, is it clean? In case any poop gets stuck you need to ckean it off several times throughout the day.

I hope she will get better soon! :fl
Hi, and thank you for the welcome! Her vent is clean, I've been checking that as well.

How do I offer the grit? Mixed with food? Separate? I'm assuming I can find it at Tractor Supply??

What should we use instead of the shavings as bedding??

Hi, and thank you for the welcome! Her vent is clean, I've been checking that as well.

How do I offer the grit? Mixed with food? Separate? I'm assuming I can find it at Tractor Supply??

What should we use instead of the shavings as bedding??
For the first week old towels, bed sheets or puppy pads will work just fine until they have learned what their feed looks and tastes like.

Having them on shavings too early can lead to chicks ingesting the shavings and as a result suffering from crop impaction leading to starvation.

You can also use rough sand and put it in a shallow dish right in the brooder.

Many years ago a had put down a cute little Araucana chick that stuffed herself with shavings instead of feed. A very sad and eyeopening occurence.

Back
Top Bottom