Chick not eating/drinking, not pooping, gasps, click sound when breathing. Please help!

J-Danger

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
Australia
I would be extremely grateful for advice, ideas, any kind of help! I am scared to loose this chick!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Chick- 5 days old (assisted hatch last week on the night of Thursday 8th October). It is small and very light – particularly when compared with its brothers/sisters.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Behaviour of concern:
Uninterested in eating or drinking – refuses to eat or drink even when held at its beak. Will instinctively drink a tiny bit when liquid is held to its beak, however, it gasps for a short while afterwards. It appears to have trouble with swallowing and gasps when trying to swallow.

Gasping– it has been gasping on and off since its beak was exposed while still in the egg.
While in the egg, it eventually spat up saliva/some kind of clear, foamy liquid. I then immediately I got it out of its shell completely.

Clicking sound when breathing – I first heard this when the chick was still in its shell/had not pipped externally. Clicking occurs constantly but is most noticeable when the chick is gasping.
I am struggling to explain the sound, but would say the sound is like there are two sticky, mucousy pieces of something inside the chick being pulled apart and pressed back together repeatedly.
The chick’s ‘cheeping’/crying used to sound a bit funny, but since today it mostly sounds clear (and loud).

Unable to poop – this has only recently developed. The chick last pooped of its own accord yesterday night. I cannot feel a blockage near its vent though – and I am not experienced enough to know whether there is a blockage elsewhere.

Behaviour since hatching:
First 2 days –lethargic and slept a lot.
Yesterday - Was very lively. It would cheep and would struggle/try moving in the chair made to sit the chick up (instead of having the chick lying on its side).
This afternoon - was lethargic and wanted to sleep/was very quiet. I took it outside to see the world (in case it passed). This soon changed and it is loud and noisy.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Since hatching 5 days ago.
Not pooping – since earlier today.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No.
However, one other chick did make a much softer clicking sound when it breathed, but this has since cleared up. (This chick was also assisted when hatching).

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

The chick’s right hip, knee and foot appear to have gotten stuck and developed in the wrong position while in the egg. They are flexible in ways they should not be flexible
(i.e., its knee can bend forwards (in a way that makes it appear double jointed) and seems to be rotated a little out to the side.
Its foot also was rotated to the side at birth (but this has been corrected with cardboard shoes).
Its hip has a part up higher where it cannot be taped (but I can manipulate it with my fingers) which ‘clicks’ into place if you press it gently between your fingers.)

Also, today I accidently cut its toe while trying to remove hobbles which were fitted to help with its hip. I don’t believe this has impacted its situation.

The other foot had curled toes and has since been treated with cardboard shoes.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Potential temperature issues due to the behaviour of broody hens. Nest was also on the ground instead of the nesting boxes. Maybe also nutrition as this last lot of chicks was unplanned/unexpected.

I believe the eggshell itself was hard to break through. The chick was in the egg for over 24hours after I could hear it peeping and before I made a hole in the shell for air. (Many of the same coloured eggs had chicks who died after externally pipping).

Not pooping – I wrapped its hips with vetwrap last night to hold them together/in place. I think this may have impacted its ability to poop. However, it is no longer bound and the chick is still not pooping on its own.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Overall, everything the chick has consumed instinctively (i.e., not of its own choosing) has been runny/watery/without solid pieces.

First 4 days - Water and Gatorade up until yesterday night – this was sometimes mixed with chick starter (unsure if this was medicated feed).

From yesterday night (5th day)- Hydralyte, probiotic powder and Dine-a-chook liquid vitamins. This was also mixed with chick starter (medicated) until I read that it would affect absorption of the vitamins.

Tonight - Hydralyte, probiotic powder, Dine-a-chook Liquid Vitamins mixed with cooked and runny egg yolk.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Today - Poop is runny/watery with mostly white parts (urates?) in clear goo. Very minimal to no green parts.

Previously – Poop would be gooey/watery with green and white parts (in addition to clear goo).

There was also green stuff at the bottom of the shell and under its vent on hatching. Photos of this are on this thread -
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-with-vent-area-not-navel-green-goop.1421460/

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Given it time because it is so young. – The chick slept a lot for the first 2 days.

To consume - The following given as frequently as I can and in very tiny amounts because I am scared of causing chocking:
+Electrolytes- Gatorade/Hydralyte
(https://hydralyte.com.au/product/ready-use-electrolyte-solutions/ ).

+Mega Mineral Chicken Supplement (https://www.dineachook.com.au/seaweed-based-soluble-vitamins-for-chickens-25ml/) – now – Liquid Vitamins (https://www.dineachook.com.au/liquid-vitamin-and-mineral-with-amino-acids-for-birds-250ml/)

+Probiotic powder.

Externally - VetRx dabbed on its body and on the sling it sleeps in every so often (maybe three times so far). Not sure if it’s doing anything but the lady at the feed store suggested it may help.

Massage in warm water - When the chick was continuously crying earlier today, its body felt tense/swollen (like a full balloon). I ran the chick's bottom under warm water from the tap and massaged its bottom until it pooped. I have since massaged its bottom/vent area when it has started crying a lot again to relieve the pressure I think is causing the chick pain. The crying eases when I do this but the chick gasps become more pronounced, so I avoid massaging unless the chick is very persistently crying. (Am I pressing on air sacs when massaging?? Is this causing the pronounced gasps?)

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I would like help with how I can treat this chick myself. I do not want it to die and it is otherwise strong/lively.

I don’t think a vet will be able to help or will even want to help. I am almost certain I will be told to cull it because of its many problems.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

As mentioned above, I have some photos of its bottom after hatching on this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-with-vent-area-not-navel-green-goop.1421460/

Please let me know if anything else would be useful. I am sure the hip/knee/foot situation needs further attention, but I am afraid to bind anything on its body up. The chick does have a vetwrap hobble around its ‘ankles.’

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

The brooder is a plastic box lined with paper towel and with a heat lamp.

Sorry that no one has answered your post. Unfortunately, when chicks have problems hatching, they can continue to have problems learning to eat and drink or move around well enough to survive. I usually give chicks a day or two to learn how to eat, and how to stand by placing them in a cup to stand or use a treatment for leg problems. Vitamins can be helpful. If they cannot, then I consider putting them down or letting nature take it’s course. That is one reason why I no longer incubate chicks. My broody raised chicks did much better, but even some can suffer brain damage or fail to thrive. Sorry that your chick is struggling.

Thank you for your response Eggcessive.

I am hoping that the chick just needs time to develop whatever parts of it which are causing issues. But it needs to stay strong and alive to do that and it's very unusual to me for an animal to have no appetite while not appearing to be ill (i.e., low energy/sleeping a lot). However, I'm very inexperienced when caring for chicks.

Other than not being interested in eating and now the not pooping on its own, the chick has been improving slightly (I.e., the clicking sound remains but has been reduced, it's not carrying on with the gasping as much when swallowing, the quality of its vocalising is clearer and louder).

I'm not adverse to caring for a disabled chook (or most probably rooster) if it comes to that. If that's the worst of my problems then I would count myself lucky. I just feel that I might be approaching helping this chick inappropriately and that there is something else I could be doing to help it more effectively.

Clicking can sometimes be a sign of subcutaneous emphysema or a leaking air sac. Look for any air pockets under the skin. Let us know if you find any. I haven’t seen clicking in other chicks, but it may be from a breathing or heart problem.

I had done a little bit of research regarding air sacs (especially because the gasping becomes worse when I massage its vent area to help it poop and its bottom looked like it was blown up like a balloon on either side when it had hatched).
When inspecting the chick, I can't locate anything that looks like the images and videos that I find online which demonstrate leaking air sacs. If they can be less obvious, then I can look closer. However, yesterday when I was running the chicks bottom under warm water, its feathers were wet and its body could be observed more closely and I did not see anything that I found to be unusual. I will examine it again when I need to help it poop/have it under warm water next to double check. The chick is so skinny that surely I shouldn't miss anything. But I feel I must also stress that I really don't know what I am doing and I am very inexperienced in this area!

A heart problem could be an issue because of a potential genetic defect from the older generation of my flock. I don't know exactly who the mother (or grandparents) is/are. However, there is a history of unusual breathing in a previous member of my flock and it was suggested that it was a heart issue.
If it was a heart issue, would it be clicking in rhythm with its breaths? It kind of sounds like there is thick/sticky goo inside whatever opens and closes as air enters and exits the chicks body. In addition to the clicks matching the rhythm of the chick's breaths, they also match with the gasping. I hope I am making sense; please don't hesitate to ask for further clarification.

One other thing regarding the clicking, the other chick I had helped to hatch used to click when it breathed as well. It doesn't click anymore though and it is about 12 hours 'younger'.

Thank you once again for you advice Eggcessive. I very genuinely appreciate you taking the time to help me.

I haven't wet the chick with warm water again yet, but I just gave it a few more drops of the Hydralyte/Probiotic/Water/Liquid Vitamin mix. As I inspected the chick, I think I observed the clicking coming from the area under its wings. I think I might be able to 'see' the clicking as it happens.

When my son returns home from school I will get him to help me video the chick. I don't know if the sound would be picked up because it is not super loud, but I can try.

In the meantime, here are some poop pics which might contain clues which I am unable to decipher.

IMG_3709.JPG IMG_3707.JPG IMG_3704.JPG IMG_3705.JPG

Poo can look sickly the first few days. It has been eating Chick starter by now, right?

Unfortunately, no. The chick hasn't been eating chick starter. It won't eat at all unless I mix it up so the food is wet/runny and I can drip it onto its beak for the chick to swallow instinctively.

I was mixing chick starter into Gatorade and liquid vitamins, etc. on the 4th day. But when I read that medicated feed would diminish the chick's ability to absorb the vitamins, I moved onto feeding it egg yolk mixed with the Hydralyte/liquid vitamins/probiotic powder.

If I am remembering correctly, the chick's poop was a bit yellower/browner in the first few days. On the 4th day I became more worried because it wasn't eating and its poop is the green/white content that you can see now. Although the more recent poops have an orange tinge in what I think are the urates (i.e., the 'white' part of the poop). However, I am not sure whether that is the egg yolk or the colour of the orange-flavoured Hydralyte showing through, or whether that is even possible and it means something else.

B vitamins can make the urates a little more yellow. Liver disease can also do that. The green is from little food intake. I would go ahead and use the chick feed with a little egg yolk and water. Baby bird feed such as what is sold in pet aisles can also be good.

The chicks belly is very swollen, a far bit of gas is coming out when I'm massaging the chick to make the chick poop. Is it possible that one of the air sacs is leaking internally into his belly??

It seems as though the tighter his belly gets, the chicks clicking noise becomes more of a crackling noise.

B vitamins can make the urates a little more yellow. Liver disease can also do that. The green is from little food intake. I would go ahead and use the chick feed with a little egg yolk and water. Baby bird feed such as what is sold in pet aisles can also be good.

Is egg and biscuit mix considered baby bird feed? Like this stuff?

Trill.JPG

Should I stop using the probiotic powder, liquid vitamins and Hydralyte?
Just stick with water to make the food runny?

Back
Top Bottom