Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Well, I started travel Nursing and had to give my birds to my bestie as my family was not loving them appropriately with me away. Now I go visit them at the farm when I'm home. They are really happy, but I miss having them in my yard. In the meantime, I get to live vicariously through you all.
Welcome back to BYC! Sorry you had to get rid of them but glad you can still see them. Travel nursing sounds fun!

The Home Brooder was a disaster. Out of 18 only two survived. But one is a big ol rooster, so all good and one very pretty ngd and brown hen. We have a brooding hen from some Orpingtins I picked up, and two Golden comets, so the brooder is doing the raising. Had to let two aggressive RI Reds go that get injuring the brooder. But they got that bad habit so now the brooder gets the coop to raise chicks by herself and she is pretty happy about that. The rest make breakfast!. We go ~6-8 eggs a day. The rooster is a tad annoying at times so our closest neighbor gets free eggs to compensate. They are happy and so are we.
Did you know ducks make great hen protectors?

My chickens just hide...
View attachment 3813341
Welcome back to BYC! That video is hilarious those chickens are lucky to have such a great protector!

Well funny you should ask. We asked our tiny flock of bantams to join us on a cross country track to the east coast via car last summer and they were such wonderful passengers. Now they're living in a wonderful yard with lots of trees and grass and 4 seasons to get used to. They are all very happy.View attachment 3813646
Great to hear from you!

I've not traveled very far with chickens... I think an hour drive was the most? Glad to hear your travels went well!

Lots of trees and grass sounds like a win-win!!

Keep us posted with details and pics of your new setup!

Doing well. Got quite the variety menagerie right now, ducks mostly, but a couple, banties, turkeys, and geese.

Still get the occasional duck with angel wing since I’m still breeding with some of the same stock, but binding or no they grow up happy and healthy.
Got three banties I hope one of the hens will sit some eggs this year, they’re getting some age on them.
Just sent two roos (not ones I raised, a neighbor was downsizeing her flock) to freezer camp all by my self, that was a first.

Doing well. Got quite the variety menagerie right now, ducks mostly, but a couple, banties, turkeys, and geese.

Still get the occasional duck with angel wing since I’m still breeding with some of the same stock, but binding or no they grow up happy and healthy.
Got three banties I hope one of the hens will sit some eggs this year, they’re getting some age on them.
Just sent two roos (not ones I raised, a neighbor was downsizeing her flock) to freezer camp all by my self, that was a first.
Welcome back to BYC! Sounds like you have your hands full.

Thanks for checking on me. I enjoy reading the forum but have difficulty navigating through it. I lost one of my hens suddenly last week and took her in for a necropsy. Turned out she had
A ruptured liver. Not uncommon in backyard flocks. What a heartbreak!
Good to hear from you. Sorry for your loss of one of your hens.

BTW, if you have feedback on how we can improve navigating BYC, please let us know!

Back
Top Bottom