Check out my new free addition to the coop & run!

hac1224

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
The lighter/newer wood coop and run are what we built about a month ago to house our new chicks, but I soon realized that it was going to be a little too small once they were full-size. Unfortunately, we currently have no money to spare for an addition, so I've been watching craigslist and freecycle as well as picking up wood scraps left at the road as "trash". I responded to an offer earlier this week on freecycle but gave up when I still hadn't heard anything a couple of days later. Then yesterday I got an email asking us to come pick up the pen and wooden doghouse he had offered. The doghouse ended up being rotted out so we trashed it, but the pen is awesome! It's 8'Lx8'Wx4'H, plus I had the plastic doghouse in excellent condition just sitting here empty. Right now I just have a make-shift tunnel/doorway betwen the two, but I'm hoping to work on something more permanent tomorrow. I filled the doghouse with shavings, added and hanging basket filled with straw for a nest-like perch, and voila! I now have an awesome run area (or at least the chickens do).
chickenpen005.jpg

chickenpen004.jpg

It's not hardware cloth, and the holes are a little larger than I like. However, it's a supervised daytime-only area, and we have no lose dogs or cats in the area. But, yes, I think now I need a few more.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom