Chain link vs. Chicken Wire

CESpeed

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
Hot Springs, AR
For the chicken yard, I am considering a chain link fence rather than chicken wire because it's stronger and I think it will keep predators out better.

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for flooring besides my concrete floor, I would appreciate the input.

THANK YOU!!!

I would definately go with the chain link if you can afford it-it will prevent predators from getting in. Also, you can then dig it down into the soil 4-6 inches to prevent anything digging under your fence.

Something I added for extra protection and wasnt very expensive-bird netting over the top. I used zip ties to fasten to the fencing, then stapled it to the side of the coop. WIth the amount of hawks, eagles, and owls around it gave me addtional peace of mind.

As far as concrete floor-thats what I have for the most part in my coop. Are you planning on using the "deep litter" method? If so, a dirt floor is better for helping decompose. I use the deep litter method so would have prefered a dirt floor. And I would imagine a dirt floor might be slightly warmer? and easier on their feet/legs when jumping off of their roosts...unless you are planning on keeping a deep bedding. Not sure if this helps?

It depends what kind of predators you have, like racoons can grab a chicken though a fence.

I like plywood flooring, it gives a little when chickens jump down from the roost.

Thank you both for your responses they do help. I know there are raccoons in the area. Maybe if I put chicken wire next to the chain link? I plan to dig at least a foot down.

Thanks for the idea of chicken wire across the top. During rain, snow, etc I can put a tarp and leave it open during the summer.

Would treated plywood work? But I guess plywood is pretty cheap to replace if it gets too saturated. (?)

Actually I used bird netting (like thin fish netting) on the top rather than chicken wire. Cheaper and less noticable.

I dug down jsut a few inches around the edges before putting the wire in (used 1 x 3 in glavanized) but wish I had dug deeper. My chickens make dirt baths around the edges and have dug down that far. I keep taking the rocks they dig up in the run and putting them around the edges...not sure its doing any good but makes me feel better. Also, with the dog in the yar during the day and chickens locked upa t night (knock on wood) havent lost a chicken to predators or anything in the year and a half that I have had them.

I use chainlink kennels for fencing. If you watch Craigslist you can get used ones cheap sometimes. I use shadecloth on top of the runs but I have them locked in a coop at night. If I was to leave them out at night I would have to put wire on top instead.

The only thing chicken wire is good for is keeping chickens in place...it won't deter even the weakest predator. Chainlink will keep dogs out, if its high enough....that's about it without the top done as well.
I've heard people use crush and run for the coop floor...its much cheaper than concrete and gets very hard...too hard for the critters to dig through...and you can deep litter over that. Call a gravel place for info.

If chain link is affordable where you are then it is an excellent choice for your run, but as someone else mentioned you need to use caution because many predators can reach through to do damage. To minimize this we placed our chain link on the outside of the run posts (in our case we had 4x6x8 ft cedar posts salvaged for free), the fence was burried about 6" deep and on the inside of the posts we put up 1" chicken wire to provide about a 4" buffer so the chickens can't actually get up against the chain link. Our inside chicken wire is 3 ft high, so even are tallest bird can't stick his head up over it to get himself into trouble. I think we will be replacing the chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth in the future for my added peace of mind. On the outside perimeter of the run we piled flat rocks all the way around and about 1.5 ft out, many are very heavy and should deter anything from getting up against the chain link to even think about digging under it. We also intend to be adding a couple runs of barbed wire protruding out around the top edge of the fence in the spring to deter anything trying to climb up onto the 'roof'.
Adding chicken wire or bird netting overtop is also a great idea.
I have seen many pics coops/runs from folks on here where they have made a rock garden with chicken friendly plants or low shrubs in it around the outer perimeter of the run, I think that is a very attractive method of providing another layer of perimeter protection to the run.

Chainlink to keep out predators, small chicken wire around the bottom to keep small chickens from getting out and coons and possums from reaching in. old fence laid flat on the ground around the outside and wired to the fence, with some heavy rocks on it to keep diggers from digging. Small run, wire on top, great big run, String fishing line to deter hawks and owls. Added protection, electric fence, run six inches, eighteen inches, four and six feet from the ground around the outside.

Coop floor, my personal preference is dirt with deep litter, clean out about once a year. If you are going to do DL you could just put an inch or so of dirt or compost on top of the concrete. You will probably have to sprinkle the litter once in awhile so it can actually compost and not just dehydrate.

I would not add a wood floor over the concrete, too easy for rats and mice to setup housekeeping under there.

I use 6x6 and 3x6 chainlink panels for the run, walls, floors, and top. They are easy to clamp together in about any configuration. I do not use any other wire fencing, so I have found rats, baby possums and small birds in the run and coop. I have a lot of raccoons here, and in the past they have killed chickens. I would think they could rip they're way through any netting/tarp type top. Although the raccoons have killed the chickens when they are free ranging unsupervised, they have not messed with the run.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom