Can you feed chicks live mealworms

Live meal worms are wonderful entertainment for chicks as well as their humans, but a word of caution - moderation.

Last spring, I had just two baby chicks, and I overdid the meal worms one day entertaining some visitors with the chicks' excited reaction to the worms. Later that day, one chick became sick. Her eyes were red-rimmed and she was lethargic. I felt her crop and it was full and hard.

After dosing her with coconut oil and massaging her crop, she later pooped a humongous turd, and she felt much better.

Even though my chicks had access to plenty of grit, overdoing the treat had led to crop impaction. So, try not to be tempted to go beyond just a few meal worms at a time with very young chicks.

Even though my chicks had access to plenty of grit, overdoing the treat had led to crop impaction. So, try not to be tempted to go beyond just a few meal worms at a time with very young chicks.
Very good point.....because the grit resides in the gizzard and they still need to get it down-stream from crop to gizzard.

Back
Top Bottom