Can turkeys get angel wing?

Updated pics of my gimp wing turkey. She still has it @ a little over 3 months old. Still young though and has a bit of growing to do :)

@Adorkable my BR turkeys wings are like that too and were at about four months old. I was reading on another thread that the "blood" feathers weigh alot, and theyre not neccecarily deformed At All but actually theyre just growing! As they develope muscle tone you should see it get better, mine have gone better worse better worse, but theyre growing at such a quick pace! Also a i believe that like my ducks, steady pacing is important. It seems too like the more i let them free range and Use their wings, the better they are-- exercise! i see them hold their wings out for the south LA heat, but this IS Different. I am however only furthure reassured by this thread that we are all good and jus growin up fast... Too fast for mommies likin :)

@Adorkable my BR turkeys wings are like that too and were at about four months old. I was reading on another thread that the "blood" feathers weigh alot, and theyre not neccecarily deformed At All but actually theyre just growing! As they develope muscle tone you should see it get better, mine have gone better worse better worse, but theyre growing at such a quick pace! Also a i believe that like my ducks, steady pacing is important. It seems too like the more i let them free range and Use their wings, the better they are-- exercise! i see them hold their wings out for the south LA heat, but this IS Different. I am however only furthure reassured by this thread that we are all good and jus growin up fast... Too fast for mommies likin
smile.png

Thanks for this. That's good to hear, although I haven't really been thinking about her wings lately. She randomly started limping a couple of weeks ago and doesn't seem to be getting any better. She hardly even walks around anymore. She'll hop on one leg out of her pen and plops down near the feed and water and stays there till it's time for bed then I'll usually carry her back inside. We've checked her out and haven't been able to find anything visibly wrong with her leg. I'm kind of thinking it may be rickets. We've been giving her oyster shell and vitamin D for a couple of days hoping she gets better. I hope she does improve.. she's such a sweetie
hmm.png

Im so sorry! I hope u can treat her! I was here out of concern for my jonny but like i said these posts reasured me that hes okay. Im out my league with Rickets and i need to research it. The turkeys are such magnificent poultry, and I would just cry and cry over my jenny :'( i really feel for you and i hope u can save her!

Turkey wing feathers come in fast and it seems to take a bit for them to have the strength to hold them properly, and at that age they don't preen yet, so feathers don't get put back where they belong, I've seen it in chicks as well, they are just too heavy for them to hold properly.

Back
Top Bottom