Can silkie chicks eat game bird starter?

Bakers-dozen

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2022
I usually hatch and raise quail but a friend gave me silkie eggs to hatch. Can I feed them the gamebird starter instead of chick starter? They should start hatching today or tomorrow but I never made it to the store to buy chick starter.

Some people may disagree with me but I started feeding my littles meat bird crumble..they seem sturdier on it then just plain chick starter. Meatbird is lower in protein by a bit then gamebird. I experiment. But I don't have silkies. I have rhode islands, EE, rhode island/leghorn crosses,etc. I don't think it would be an issue. The amino acids will be slightly different . Compare the vitamins in a feed store or online if your worried.

Some people may disagree with me but I started feeding my littles meat bird crumble..they seem sturdier on it then just plain chick starter. Meatbird is lower in protein by a bit then gamebird. I experiment. But I don't have silkies. I have rhode islands, EE, rhode island/leghorn crosses,etc. I don't think it would be an issue. The amino acids will be slightly different . Compare the vitamins in a feed store or online if your worried.
I agree, my chicks grow bigger and sturdier using game bird. I gave my one hatch to a neighbor, even though they were the same age, mine were bigger.

I agree, my chicks grow bigger and sturdier using game bird. I gave my one hatch to a neighbor, even though they were the same age, mine were bigger.
That explains something..I got store bought rhode island chicks..kid not maybe two days younger then the rhode island/leghorns I had hatched and fed meatbird. Mine looked like they were a week ahead or more. I kept thinking they had mislabeled the rhode islands and I had got bantam. Fast forward three weeks they finally caught up eating meatbird. Some people probably disagree though. But I like to experiment and I think the protein gives them a good boost in growing.

Back
Top Bottom