Can multiple turkeys lay on the same nest?

SouthBearFarm

Hatching
Apr 10, 2020
Northeast Iowa
So I know this might seem like there is an obvious answer to this question, but something very unusual is happening... Let me explain. So I have 2 hens and one Tom and yesterday I found a clutch of 6 eggs. We are collecting them to incubate, and today when I went out again I found 3 more eggs! I'm so confused because I've only seen one of the hens go to lay an egg on the nest, and we collected all the eggs the day before. Another thing to add is on multiple occasions now we have seen our turkeys interact with wild turkeys from our area, so it got me thinking are the wild turkey hens laying where our hens are? Can a turkey hen lay more than one egg in a day? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I don’t think so...I raise ducks and 2 hens (female duck) is not suppose to sit on the same nest! I had 3 maybe 4 hens on a nest and not one duckling hatched!! But I’m not 100% positive!

So I know this might seem like there is an obvious answer to this question, but something very unusual is happening... Let me explain. So I have 2 hens and one Tom and yesterday I found a clutch of 6 eggs. We are collecting them to incubate, and today when I went out again I found 3 more eggs! I'm so confused because I've only seen one of the hens go to lay an egg on the nest, and we collected all the eggs the day before. Another thing to add is on multiple occasions now we have seen our turkeys interact with wild turkeys from our area, so it got me thinking are the wild turkey hens laying where our hens are? Can a turkey hen lay more than one egg in a day? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
No turkeys don't lay multiple eggs during the same day. Many turkey hens do not lay eggs on consecutive days.

Yes turkey hens will lay eggs in the same nest. I just got 3 fresh eggs from one hidden nest today. At one point during the day I saw two of the hens on the nest at the same time.

Yes a wild turkey hen can lay eggs in the same nest a domestic hen is using.

Years ago I had a wild hen that would come in every year. When she lost her clutch of eggs, she joined one of my Bourbon Red hens on her nest. Unfortunately a coon found the nest as the poults were hatching and cleaned the nest out.

Last year, I surprised a wild turkey hen adding her egg to the nest of one of my Sweetgrass hens.

If a wild hen is adding eggs to your domestic hen's nest, you are in a bit of a predicament because it is illegal to collect wild turkey eggs.

Back
Top Bottom