Can i treat a niacin deficiency with just nutritional yeast alone?

Danialaska

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2022
Hello,
I am new to raising ducklings, one of my ducklings is showing signs of a niacin deficiency. I order some injectable B3, but it won't be here for a week. I live in rural Alaska, and unfortunately we have no feed stores.
I have been adding nutritional yeast to their food. She is unfortunately not eating much, but I have had luck with her drinking a spoonful of nutritional yeast dissolved in warm water.

My question, will feeding her this mixture of nutritional yeast and water a few times a day treat the problem? Or is nutritional yeast only a prevention not treatment?

Thank you!

It should help until you get the B. I'm worried she's not eating properly. That's not niacin deficiency. It manifests in the legs.
She has a hard time getting to the food, and sits down more frequently, or just is overall very clumsy. She is eating but not as much as my others, (they are 6 days old). She is quite small compared to the others. Her eyes aren't open and wide like the others, they look more tired. I am very new to this, so I appreciate any thoughts or input!

Hello,
I am new to raising ducklings, one of my ducklings is showing signs of a niacin deficiency. I order some injectable B3, but it won't be here for a week. I live in rural Alaska, and unfortunately we have no feed stores.
I have been adding nutritional yeast to their food. She is unfortunately not eating much, but I have had luck with her drinking a spoonful of nutritional yeast dissolved in warm water.

My question, will feeding her this mixture of nutritional yeast and water a few times a day treat the problem? Or is nutritional yeast only a prevention not treatment?

Thank you!
could you find some niacin tablets for sale? They might be more available and can help. Flush effect niacin pills, not flush free.
Nutritional yeast can help but I found niacin tablets are better at treating. I used 100mg tablets to 1 gallon of water, and just used it in their water bowl. Just empty the tablet powder into the water and mix! It worked well for mine but the B complex will help much better!

Update! The little lady is doing much better. She still has a ways to go, but she has more energy and is not sitting down as much. I kept up with feeding her nutritional yeast and poultry vitamin/water mixture as reccomended. Her little eyes are starting to look a bit brighter today, and her legs are looking stronger. Thanks for all the advice!

How can I be sure my ducks are getting enough niacin and my chickens aren't getting too much when they are all in the same coop and run?

Back
Top Bottom