Can I stop food & water at night?

bsshog40

Chirping
May 3, 2024
Omaha, Tx.
So my ducklings are 4 weeks old. I was told that with our nice temps that I can start putting them outside. I'm still gonna wait til the weekend to do that, due to storms, and keep them in the brooder til then. My question is, would it be fine to take their food and water out of the brooder at night? Or should I just continue 24/7 food & water?
Thanks, Bobby

I would continue food and water 24/7 until they’re fully feathered, or around 8 weeks old. They need all the food they can get while growing! After 8 weeks, you can take it out at night just fine :)
Hijacking to ask a similar question if I may, please -- my ducks are 8 weeks old, do you think they are old enough to withhold food during the day to encourage foraging? Side purpose is to encourage them to bed in their coop when I call them in and open their food, they are starting to resist getting into the coop lol. Been training them with a cowbell and mealworms ever since they started living outside but having their food may be the push they need.

Hijacking to ask a similar question if I may, please -- my ducks are 8 weeks old, do you think they are old enough to withhold food during the day to encourage foraging? Side purpose is to encourage them to bed in their coop when I call them in and open their food, they are starting to resist getting into the coop lol. Been training them with a cowbell and mealworms ever since they started living outside but having their food may be the push they need.
I’ve been there! I personally think it’s best to feed at least twice a day. Might be better to try giving a small meal in the morning and a bigger one in the evening; they get to eat twice but are still hungry enough to forage and return later for their main food. You could also encourage foraging by scattering food / treats in the yard until they get the idea. I really like throwing greens and grasses into a pool / pond for my ducks, too; they can’t get enough!!

I always free-feed my ducks. I let them out to free-range a couple times a day, but they always run back to their food like they are starving, despite eating lots of greens and bug. They're domesticated birds and though they're good foragers, I think we should offer them whatever food they want!

Back
Top Bottom