can i replacing Fish Meal on this Recipe with one of those mealworm/Spirulina/azolla

henlover2019

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2019
I founded this simple Chicken Feed Recipe Formula online and i was asking if it will be ok if i replaced the fish meal with one of those mealworm/Spirulina/azolla to get a cheaper food mix and are there any
Recipe that uses one of those as a source of protein instead of soy meal or fish meal or sunflower meal etc..
?

I founded this simple Chicken Feed Recipe Formula online and i was asking if it will be ok if i replaced the fish meal with one of those mealworm/Spirulina/azolla to get a cheaper food mix and are there any
Recipe that uses one of those as a source of protein instead of soy meal or fish meal or sunflower meal etc..

?

• 30% Corn
  • 30% Wheat
  • 20% Peas
  • 10% Oats
  • 10% Fish Meal
  • 2% Poultry Nutri–Balancer
  • Free Choice Kelp
  • Free Choice Aragonite
Hello henlover2019.
I hope you won't take offense, but if you are asking people if a home made feed is suitable then you probably don't know enough about feed to be making your own.
Why not buy a commercial feed where the nutrition has been worked out for you and supplement with fish or meat if you believe that's necessary?

You have to be very careful with homemade feed recipe's should only come from a reputable source with the knowledge and back ground to formulate a feed for poultry such as a poultry nutritionist, not the internet sensation. There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to balanced feed it is very easy to cause malnutrition because the amino acids are not balanced or the vitamin or minerals are not in the correct ratio to each other or in a source that poultry can not utilize efficiently.
Your question about the fish meal and its replacements- you need to be sure the replacements have the correct ratio of amino acids not just the protein percentages.

So if you were making 100lbs of the feed 10lbs of fish meal would be necessary. Fish meal is considered to be 'animal' sourced protein. Animal sourced protein contains the essential amino acids absent or short in plant sourced protein. Fish meal is 62% protein. The grains are used to dilute the protein down to an acceptable level.

The next challenge is feed form. It's not as simple as adding the grains and mixing with fish meal. The grains must be ground to the same consistency as the fishmeal. If larger they will bill through the feed eating the most choice morsels starting with the corn.

If your going to create a custom feed i would suggest looking up the old USDA poultry publications on the subject circa 1910-1920. Every recipe uses animal sourced proteins.

If ypu want to save money on your feed bill buy a sack of it at the feed store.

Welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join the flock. It's a friendly (if blunt) group of birds, passionate about all things poultry. You might want to post in the Introductions section, so folks can say hello and get to know you, and they offer a lot of helpful information about navigating BYC.

:jumpy:welcome:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom