Can I give this broody back her chicks when they hatch?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I have an odd situation. I have an Araucana pullet that was sitting on eggs - the remaining 2 (originally 4, two broke) are due to hatch tomorrow or Thursday. Over the weekend I moved her to the "maternity ward", well not really moved her, just took an existing barrier in the coop and moved it down to where she was blocked off from the rest of the flock. Already in the sectioned off part of the coop is another Araucana pullet that has a 3 week old chick. This is where my broody was going to raise her chicks, with her sister whom already has a chick.

Saturday, she did not get off the nest. Sunday she got off to do her poop, eat, dust bathe routine and when she saw her sister's chick, it was like she said to herself "OH A BABY!!! I"LL JUST TAKE THIS ONE!" and she "chick-napped" the chick from her sister and would not go back to her eggs. I tried putting her back on the nest, that lasted 15 minutes, tried locking her in the coop, she paced the door. So I fired up the incubator and brought her two remaining eggs inside. Said broody is now co-parenting (though she seems to have more involvement with the chick than its mother) the chick with her sister. I was going to give the chicks back to her when they hatch, but I got to thinking, "Will she care for them properly since she has this older chick?" I'm afraid she will try to bring them out of the coop right away and/or not do things with new hatchlings she should do. Should I just brood these chicks myself (I really don't want to) or give them back to her?

You won’t know till you try.

I have two Broody hens raising chicks together, one batch is 2 weeks older than the other but they all get on fine.
Good luck with your hatch!

So far one of the chicks has hatched. I believe it hatched early afternoon yesterday.
The other egg has just now pipped - so there is going to be at least 24 hrs between these chicks. Should I put the first hatchling under the broody tonight, and wait until tomorrow night to put out the second? Or should I put them out together? I know the latter would be preferred, but does that leave the first chick in the incubator too long? I'll also have to wait for the second one to fluff and dry before putting it out with the broody...correct?

When eggs are about to hatch, they absorb the yolk as their nutrients. I believe this nutrients will sustain them up to two days post hatch, which will be enough time to wait for the second egg to hatch and dry.
It’s best to put them under the broody together.

I have a Silkie Hen that raised her Chicks till 6 weeks old and then I got an order of Speckled Sussex and they were crying their heads off so I went out and brought Bonnie in..She absolutely loved the 11 Chicks So raised those too..
Then my little Rosecomb hatched out babies and Bonnie tried to steal those too once I introduced to the flock.
Some Really like being Momma...

Back
Top Bottom