Can I eat chickens with Mycoplasma?

K R 2709

Chirping
6 Years
May 21, 2013
BC, Canada
I am planning to cull some of my chickens who have mg. are they still safe to eat even though they are sick? I don't want to have to bother with processing if they aren't edible.
Thanks,

Anyone? I am planning to cull them today
I personally would be reluctant to do so, but I am not the person to ask. I always thought that they were culled and burned, but I guess that is to prevent transmission to other birds. If they have been medicated, I definitely wouldn't eat them......cook for dog food perhaps?

Last edited:
I could cook them for dog food. They were treated with oxytetracyline but it was a few weeks ago so they are safe to eat in that respect.

I really have no idea what to tell you. Here is a quote from zoologix:

On the other hand, Mycoplasma gallisepticum is associated with chronic respiratory disease in chickens and infectious sinusitis in turkeys. The symptoms generally seen are coryza, coughing, nasal exudate and respiratory rales. Economic losses due to M. gallisepticum infection include reduced egg production, lowered hatchability of chicks and downgraded meat quality.

I don't see it saying not to eat the meat.

http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/Mycoplasma.htm

Are the birds still sick, or have you decided to cull them because of the carrier state of the disease?

Here is another link:

www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/...mycoplasma_gallisepticum.pdf

It says that meat quality can be downgraded in infected chickens sent for slaughter, though I don't know exactly what that means. I guess it means it is edible.

I don't know what the withdrawal times are for oxytetracycline for chickens. It should say on the package. I think it is 28 days for cattle and pigs.

So it may be that you can eat it........if you do besure to cook it very thoroughly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input I decided to burn the carcasses instead.
Just saw this thread.

I ate my last bird that was quite badly affected with myco, as did my kids. It made a very tasty curry. I'm still here, nothing wrong with me or kids. I'm planning on eating all my birds with myco. Don't worry about it. Should be fine.

I also know that in various parts of the world when a chicken becomes ill (not sure what illness, and I higly doubt those villagers do either) the villagers eat their ill chickens as they can't afford vets (I wouldn't bother with vet bills either, I will either try to cure it myself, else it's getting eaten).

To be honest you have probably eaten many chickens in the past with myco and who knows what sorts of other diseases without even knowing about it.

IMO you've just wasted good meat.

Of course this does not go for every chicken disease, but I would say most respiratory diseases, you should be fine to eat the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom