Can ducks coexist with a red eared slider in a small pond?

caf.gif

How many ducks are you talking about? turtles can pretty much take care of themselves since they have such good armour, but alot of ducks might cause alot of muck in a 200gal. pond.

Last edited:
No snapping turtles. As a kid I had a family of muskovies. One by one they came home with large parts of their breasts gone or not at all. the old man who owned the pond said he had dumped his kids snapper in there years ago and it must still be there.

RES are not snappers. I had two in a 40 gallons of water in a large kiddy pool for spring through fall. They came in the house in the winter. Filter and all, the water was a mess from the two girls alone and changed weekly. They are pretty peaceful and would love to chase down and eat gold fish when given them as a treat.

I would imagine ducks alone will foul the water in a small 200 gallon pond to the point of a giant stinky mess within a week if not a few days.

Quote:
slidders are snappers?

No. BUT they can grow quite large and any large turtle may be a threat. Although I do not think your pond is going to be that big. I was just relating a story. Sorry.

Quote:
slidders are snappers?

No. BUT they can grow quite large and any large turtle may be a threat. Although I do not think your pond is going to be that big. I was just relating a story. Sorry.

I have read alot of stories right on here about snappers and what they can do to ducks and ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom