can children touch chicks/chickens

catterbug

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Ohio
I have a 3 and 5 yr old. I have heard and read that children shouldn't play with chicks or chickens. How can I tell my kiddos they can't hold the chick in their hands after the first few days? Heck I want to. Of course I will have them wash their hands well afterward. Should I be concerned? Should we all wear gloves?

Don't worry. As long as they wash their hands well after holding them, they should be fine.
smile.png

As long as they are careful and don't hurt them. Sometimes kids that young have a hard time holding a wiggling chick without dropping it. Also, be sure they wash their hands. Ours played with the little chicks a lot. The chicks LOVED all the attention.

idk about children but i touch mine as soon as they are dry i put them from incubator to brooder then after that i constantly hold and cuddle them lol too cute to keep my hands off of

Thank you so much. I have been worrying over this since I read something yesterday. We pick up our babies tomorrow morning. I can't wait! A little nervous though since this is our very first try with chickens. I am a city girl and still live in the city but since we are allowed to have chickens I thought 6 in the backyard would be a great experience.

Don't worry - and don't buy gloves! Farm kids are usually very healthy - the immune system NEEDS exposure to soil and animals to develop properly. Handling the chickens will not make your kids sick. My kids adore the chicks and chickens, and are quite healthy!

Of course, you do need to be careful for the chicks. Children should be supervised with the itty bitty ones. My three year old is likely to think that the chick "wants" to take a ride in her tricycle or practice "dancing." LOL

just have them wash their hands, and teach them to be gentle. They will be just fine.

20764_cimg2941.jpg

Here is my 10 year old son, and his BR Lacy. I think it is great to let kids help care for, and have respect for animals.

My 21 month old grand daughter picks up my chickens and kisses them, She loves them and they love her. They will run from me , but not her. We have one Roo that she sits in the yard swing with everyday!

Quote:
now that i would luv to see a pic of

i just keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in the chixn yard....a little squirt of that before we even leave the area...then wash hands when get inside....and nope i am not a germaphobe...just never know when your eye or nose is gonna itch before you get to wash them

Back
Top Bottom