Can Bantam Roosters Breed with standard size Hens.

It's been 10 years since I have had any bantams but I did have a Black Silkie rooster that bred with some of my Golden Polish hens. The offspring were not much as far as layer go (not only a low lay rate but small eggs), but they were incredibly friendly and docile and probably the most prettiest chickens I have ever owned.

I guess my question is answered. I have 9 standard sized hens. I want to get a couple of silkies, two hens and a roo. At this point, I didn't want to be obligated to build separate quarters for the bantams. But it sounds like they can be housed together. I let the hens free range when I am around. We have 4 barn cats that are fine with the chickens, even in and out of the coup sharing the table scraps. I probably won't be able to let the silkies out though.

My grandson recently won a bantam rooster. He is full grown. I have 12 full size hens. All of a sudden I am getting 1 really tiny egg a day. My question is can a bantam rooster cause my full size hens to lay small eggs or is what I think is a rooster really a hen? It crows like a rooster. My husband has seen it on the back of my other hens. I'm so confused.

My grandson recently won a bantam rooster. He is full grown. I have 12 full size hens. All of a sudden I am getting 1 really tiny egg a day. My question is can a bantam rooster cause my full size hens to lay small eggs or is what I think is a rooster really a hen? It crows like a rooster. My husband has seen it on the back of my other hens. I'm so confused.

Your bantam rooster cannot affect the size of any hen's eggs, ever. The hen is laying a "wind" (or, "fart egg") egg (look up). She is experiencing going through to the last of her eggs for her cycle. She will likely rest for a bit, then, lay as well as normal when she starts back up again. Just normal cycling.

If say, your bantam did fertilize an egg to the chick stage... the hen controls the size of the young and type. The rooster controls the coloring and comb. So, if you have Buff Orpingtons, the young would resemble Buff Orpingtons in size and shape, but the bantam would lend his coloring.

I once saw an OEG bantam X RIR cross, and the rooster looked exactly like a full RIR with the beautiful coloring of the bantam (with the exception of copper leakage in the chest and some on wings.). He wasn't a Frankenstein bird at all. Hope that helped.

Didn't mean to bump an old thread but Bantam roosters can definitely do the job. I regularly have fertilized eggs and hatched quite a few. I had 4 chicks who hatched few days ago, 5 more in the incubator. Lil guy on the right... all girls are full size.

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 8.21.05 PM.png

I'm gonna resurrect this one again, rather than start a new thread. I am realizing that my full sized (EE girls) are now only with two smaller silkie/cochin frizzle cockerels. Will they likely get the job done, or will I end up with a large number of unfertilized eggs?

I have a 4 month old "standard" Phoenix roo that I'm raising to hang with the big girls. Right now, he has googly eyes
love.gif
for my 3 month old Light Sussex, who is 3x his size. I'm okay with him "trying" to fertilize the hens, as long as he's gentle, but I don't think I'll be hatching any weird Phoenix crosses.
ep.gif
I just want him for his protective tenacity, and his cute tail... LOL.
wink.png
Love the gogglie eye comment. They DO work and give a lot of giggles.

Back
Top Bottom