Can a chicken lay two different colored eggs?

Usedtowanna

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2015
My daughter is certain that she got a green egg from our Ameraucauna one day and then a brown another day. Is that possible?

They can and will change shades at different times of the year, after molt, etc, but will always be basically the same color. Not likely that the same hen laid brown and green eggs.

Actually they can, I had one do it this spring, it's a deficiency in diet, she had just come off a broody spell. I think she went from green to pink, I'd have to go look back at my records

Whilst a chicken will have varying shades of eggs over the course of a year, largely due to the pigment that is layered over the shell drying up as she approaches moult, a chicken will not and can not ever lay a brown egg one day and a green the next. A chicken either lays white eggs or blue eggs, when it comes to the actual shell. Blue is dominant over white, so any bird that has the 'blue gene' lays blue eggs, without exception. Any other shade is caused by the pigment layers over the top of the shell, largely made up of blood; hence the brown colour.

Are the eggs the same size and shape? Can you post a picture? How many other hens do you have? Usually a hen doesn't change the egg color, shape, and size once she gets into production.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I was kinda thinking it wasn't possible but since I'm not that knowledgeable, I figured ya never know! :) I love this board!

Back
Top Bottom