Burning chicken poop

It is about an acre. That's a great idea about spreading it in the fall. I just didn't know how long it needed to sit in the backyard before use. I've heard so many different timeframes. I know it's considered "hot." Unfortunately a green thumb I am not. I grow cucumbers and squash that the family and chickens love. Herbs here and there as well. Last year we planted so much and it all died due to the horrible heat wave.
you can spread it even in the spring, or just put it right fresh in for things like corn that LOVE nitrogen

Do you have a link? I searched for it and just got a bunch one other ones
The one I have I think my parents got it at a local hardware store (we have been using these since I was a kid in the 90s) and it's the same brand as mine. I can't find it online - the closest I can find is this one but my lid is different (kind of just nestles on it, no latch etc and I like it cos I can use it one handed) but it's a good start.

If you get a cone digester compost it takes up nearly no space and I've never had to empty it in 8 years (I use it for dog poo). It decomposes fast and plants around it thrive. No smell. It looks like this. Mine is black, but some are green.
Oooh…I wonder if one of these would handle chicken poop? Do you use it for only dog poop or also kitchen scraps?

Oooh…I wonder if one of these would handle chicken poop? Do you use it for only dog poop or also kitchen scraps?
I love It for soil fertility in the area! I use it for mostly dog poop, meat/bones and grease things that I can't compost, dead mice, etc. Sometimes I throw weeds in there that are seedy or invasive that I don't want in my cold compost. All of that can go in my town collected green bin but in the summer I find it breaks down very quickly in the digester and provides nutrients to plants that grow nearby. there's a hydrangea behind it that just took off when I moved it there!

Try contacting your one of the pasture owners and see if you can dump it on their property. Or see if you can add it to their accumulation of poop from their animals. I be one of the pasture owners would know of a local that would love to have it.

You really don't need to clean out the run at all, maybe every 2 years or so. You aren't leaving it long enough to compost down. Are you adding shavings to earth? Just leave the earth for them to scratch in, poop and it composts on its own. You can hose the poops into the earth or dig them in if you wish.

If your run is really dry, they will just dry out and it shouldn't smell. If wet, it will compost where it is.

I think your cleaning regime is out of whack. Stop generating so much stuff to get rid of by cleaning the run out. Use deep litter in the coop and clean every few months. Poop tray poop can be bagged up and left for a few months to rot down, or chucked on your existing compost pile. That's only a couple of handfuls a day.

Back
Top Bottom