Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hi I am it the middle of building a new duck house, what should I use for the roof for a cold winter climate? we were going to use sheet metal but now after doing some research we are not sure if that is a good idea. what would y'all do? We do have strong winds in the winter. Thank you
A4B10588-8BB6-4C83-B174-4EE062124C36.jpeg

Last edited:
Sheet metal.

Any condensation which forms on sheet metal would also form on polycarbonate or wood - though on wood, it usually forms where you can't see it, between the wood and the paper. Basically, wherever the thermal break is most prominent, and the surface least vapor permissive. Sheet metal also has fewer penetrations per square foot than a traditional shingled roof, is more likely to be correctly installed by an amatuer than a traditional shingled roof, sheds snow better than a traditional shingled roof, and - assuming you leave the under eaves open (well, hardware cloth, to preserve that predator protected, weather-sheltered ventilation), any moisture which does form can run down the inside of the metal roofing to fall outside the house.

You didn't cut the ends of your rafters perpendicular with the ground? That's harder to do after the fact.

Also, where are you locating your roosting bars? Those look to be single hung windows - which will put a draft (most likely) directly on your birds when open - meaning they aren't useful ventilation in bad winter weather. No chance they will work if installed "upside down" as top open windows???

/edit SCRATCH THAT. "Duck House". Ducks don't need roosting bars. Sorry, brain was lacking caffeine. I built a raised hen house so the ducks could nest underneath. Silly me. I know this. Leave the windows as is.

Last edited:
What is the best thing to put on the ground of the new run for my ducks? pea gravel? sand? What do y'all use? I have been thinking about using pea gravel but was wondering what the pros and cons of it are. I have heard that the pea gravel can cause bumblefoot.

And I have been thinking about putting some cages on an inside wall of the duck coop for brooders. I hatch ducklings and chicks in an incubator and then I sale them. Since I am going to sale them, is it a problem if I have them in with my flock? thank you

I *briefly" used pea gravel in my duck house by their water trough, because they were flinging water everywhere. Worse mistake I have made so far in poultry ownership. Ripped it all out w/i 2 weeks.

Why?

Because some combination of duck $#!+, water, and food particles were flung all over it, packed in tight, and reeked worse than an open cess pit - even a high pressure hose couldn't wash all the stuff out. Had to shovel it (and dry, it was like fresh concrete) out, then piled leaf litter back in, 6"+ deep. Odor problem went away immediately.

I should offer that I have sandy clay soils - or clay-y sands, they don't drain well, and I'm in a high daily humidity environment of moderate to high heat most of the year. Possibly your soil or climate conditions are different enough to be a factor. I do NOT recommend for anyone in a situation like mine.

What about the sand? Has anyone tried that?
I do have sand and in Ohio I do have to replace it at times but the ducks seem to like it and I have never had any problems with their feet. Right now there are areas of ice over it but they still manage to get around well as the pen is rather large.

I have grass in my aviary/run and I love it. I have to have 2 sections so I can reseed and grow one side while the ducks are gleefully destroying the other side. But it works great, no bumblefoot!

My ducks had crazy bumble foot when I used pea gravel. @CoriM used sand and didn't love it, I believe.

I did use sand and hated it, and switched to pea gravel. I guess looking at a few of the previous comments, it goes to show that everyone's experience is unique. I live in the Pacific NW and winters are rainy. My duck run is covered and I had sand around their pond. The poop stayed on top and didn't rinse down. It smelled terrible!! I pulled it out and put in about 6 inches of pea gravel. I hose it off once or twice a day and everything rinses through the rocks really well. No smell. Half of my run is soft wood shavings, and I haven't had a case of bumble for a year and a half. My ducks spend several hours a day outside on regular grass as well.

What do y’all think of putting the brooders for the chicks and ducklings in the duck coop. Is it a bad idea having them in with my flock since I will be selling them or does it matter?

Back
Top Bottom