Building a Broiler Pen

gingernutranger

Songster
12 Years
Aug 4, 2007
Does anyone have any pictures of a nice pen for broilers. I am not looking for tarp houses, more of a framed portable coop with a door and all.

Thanks
wink.png

sorry to but in to the poster

what size is your wood tractor jaku??? how many birds will it hold??

thanks sam

Do you start your newbies in the tractor? I just did my first batch and want to learn as much as I can so I can do lots more next year. We have a garage brooder, and waited a few weeks to put them in the box tractor (cause it wasn't ready). Curious what y'all do.

Quote:
My PVC one is 10x10. I guess opinions vary on how many it "will" hold, but I put 53 in it this spring with no problem, and unless I decide to build another one, I'll be putting even more than that in it this fall. I think it will hold 75 just fine.

Quote:
is this were they sleep ,and do they have a roost to sleep .iam thinking of getting some meat birds.thanks

Quote:
is this were they sleep ,and do they have a roost to sleep .iam thinking of getting some meat birds.thanks

That's their home, 24/7 after the first three weeks. No roosts for meat birds. They sleep right on the ground. Roosting is hard on them and causes breast blisters.

I have been feeding mine 24/7. They were put in the coop after 2 weeks with a heat lamp on at night. It is quite hot here though. They have been outside at times since the first week. I have been raising the feeder as they grow. Now that the heat lamp is off at night, they dont eat when its dark. Water and more water, those little big guys drink a lot. So far so good, the darkness and turning off the heat lamp sure forced their feathers to come out fast. I am processing them at 8 weeks and this is what our fellow neighbours have done, this is our first batch but so far so good. We are building them a bigger area, I cannot get over how fast they grow, I definitly under estimated teir growth. Its kinda like I had to see it to believe it!!!

Back
Top Bottom