Aug 26, 2020
Hi all,
I have a young buff orp cockerel and am thinking about keeping him since we don’t have any other roosters. I know that buff orps are usually described as very sweet chickens and was wondering if that held true for the roosters? I know that every rooster is different, but just wanted to know if they are generally a nice rooster

When I got chicks last year, I got 3 straight run Buff Orpingtons. Of course, they were all cockerels.

Two of them had to be culled at 4 months when hormones kicked in. They became aggressive to me and were terrorizing the 3 pullets I had.

I still have the third. He is ... ok. I take a big stick into the run whenever I go in because he can't seem to remember that I am the boss and that I don't want to take his girls away from him.

He is good with the girls. He tidbits and doesn't force himself on them. I don't free range, so I'm not sure how good of a protector he is, since he doesn't have to watch out for them in that regard.

Roosters are wired for a job, protect the flock, tell the hens what to do, mate. If I pick mine up he really doesn't like it but tolerates it. They dont like anyone messing with "their" hens. Remember, they rule the roost, they have a job, they are not kittens or puppies, but do pick him up as much as you can while he is small, and when he gets bigger, just to let him know you can and will, dont be afraid of him, he will flapp your leg, he will leave a mark on your leg, it doesnt really hurt. You may need to trim his toenails.

They are great watch dogs, he will alert you if anything is in the yard, flying over head, etc.... mine crows if you open the driveway gate, if I get up in the dark and turn on an outside light to take the dog out, if deer are walking around in the brush.
He started crowing at 8 week old.
He tells the hens when it is time to go in, eat and get a drink and get up on the roost. Every evening at 6:15 he starts the get ready to go in routine. He gets everyone up at first light. He tell them when he wants everyone to take a nap.
He has been very good to the 10 new chicks.

#1 dont turn your back on him
#2 have something like- a kids rake, to heard the flock when needed and to keep a barrier between you the the rooster- start using it now.
#3 dont hit or kick them, they will then see you as a danger and get more assertive.
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG

I love my rooster, he is a good shepherd of the flock
IMG_0954.JPG

Roosters are wired for a job, protect the flock, tell the hens what to do, mate. If I pick mine up he really doesn't like it but tolerates it. They dont like anyone messing with "their" hens. Remember, they rule the roost, they have a job, they are not kittens or puppies, but do pick him up as much as you can while he is small, and when he gets bigger, just to let him know you can and will, dont be afraid of him, he will flapp your leg, he will leave a mark on your leg, it doesnt really hurt. You may need to trim his toenails.

They are great watch dogs, he will alert you if anything is in the yard, flying over head, etc.... mine crows if you open the driveway gate, if I get up in the dark and turn on an outside light to take the dog out, if deer are walking around in the brush.
He tells the hens when it is time to go in, eat and get a drink and get up on the roost. Every evening at 6:15 he starts the get ready to go in routine. He gets everyone up at first light. He tell them when he wants everyone to take a nap.

#2 have something like- a kids rake, to heard the flock when needed and to keep a barrier between you the the rooster- start using it now.
#3 dont hit or kick them, they will then see you as a danger and get more assertive.
View attachment 2717281
View attachment 2717293

View attachment 2717307

View attachment 2717281
View attachment 2717293

View attachment 2717307
That was the best description of a roosters life and advice I’ve heard. Very useful. Thank you!

I expect my cockerels to spend their time interacting with their flockmates, and learning to be alert for danger, and how to behave around the hens, adult roosters, and the flock. I am not part of the flock, I'm the giant who brings food, and not to be bothered in any way! Any cock bird or cockerel who thinks that I am a target has made a fatal mistake!
As a new chicken keeper, we put up with a miserable attack bird way too long! Then we thought that we could 'reform' or 'retrain' idiots who wanted to attack humans, and it really never fixed their little brains. Over time, we learned, and now we have zero tolerance for any cockerels or rooster who think bad thoughts towards humans. While he's stalking you, he's not paying attention to his flockmates or actual dangers out there.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom