Buckeye Hen Suspected Sour Crop Has Green Runny Poop

04/22/24 Hen Update

I have started trying epsom salt flushing for my hen's crop issues. That is paired with only feeding her chick feed and giving her Poly-Vi-Sol, Vet-R-X, and ACV.

When I massaged her crop before I gave her some epsom salt, she done something like a burp, twice, and it felt like her crop shrunk a little bit. It also smelled bad, so I think she has some gases building up in her crop. Is that normal for sour crop and/or does it mean that she is getting worse?

Also when I just touched her beak to start to open it to give her the epsom salt water, she up-chucked all over me. It came out like a waterfall and there were a couple small pieces of plants in it.

The pictures I attached are pictures of her currently.

Picture 1 is her back feathers, which I think do not look like healthy feathers, does anyone know why they look like this?

Picture 2 is of her face. You can see that she looks aware and her comb is not as pale as it has been before.

Picture 3 is of her vent. Is it normal for it to be so pale on the inside of the vent? And are chicken's vents supposed to move when they breathe because her vent does not move when she breathes. Are these further signs of reproductive issues? I have been told that she could have reproductive issues, so I want to make sure.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 20240422_155601.jpg
    20240422_155601.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240422_155613.jpg
    20240422_155613.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240422_155642.jpg
    20240422_155642.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 3
I haven't used olive oil myself, but I believe I've heard of people making use of it, not exactly sure for crop issues. Have you checked out the articles on crop issues here? Shortening from my perspective seems like it would gum up, and it's definitely not good for our arteries, but that's any hydrogenated oil and not saying that's going to make a difference the couple times you might use it, but I'd go with melted coconut oil if you already have that or oil olive.

Oil olive seems to absorb pretty quick, Mineral oil on the other hand is a laxative and might be ok, I'd just be concerned about tub or syringe feeding for fear of getting it in their windpipe.

What I've done in my trials of learning meds via syringe application is dab some bacon fat (no idea if that made a difference, seems to work) on the end of it for flavor, hold their mouth at the sides so that I can position the syringe at their beak and then let them open it and naturally drink from the syringe as I slowly push the applicator forward. I'm much more comfortable with this method then sticking the syringe down their throat.

That usually works well enough for me, sometimes they'll shake their head and there might be a splash so it does take a little practice.

Just noticed your last post. I've had buckeyes look worse than her and just be going through a molt (I assume) I can't really say yes there is a problem just looking at those pictures, she doesn't look bad to me. I've had a few issues with Buckeyes over the years, but that could be inexperience on my part.

So compared to your other hens she stands out to you for a crop problem that's essentially the issue? Other than appearing down and lethargic?

I haven't used olive oil myself, but I believe I've heard of people making use of it, not exactly sure for crop issues. Have you checked out the articles on crop issues here? Shortening from my perspective seems like it would gum up, and it's definitely not good for our arteries, but that's any hydrogenated oil and not saying that's going to make a difference the couple times you might use it, but I'd go with melted coconut oil if you already have that or oil olive.

Oil olive seems to absorb pretty quick, Mineral oil on the other hand is a laxative and might be ok, I'd just be concerned about tub or syringe feeding for fear of getting it in their windpipe.

What I've done in my trials of learning meds via syringe application is dab some bacon fat (no idea if that made a difference, seems to work) on the end of it for flavor, hold their mouth at the sides so that I can position the syringe at their beak and then let them open it and naturally drink from the syringe as I slowly push the applicator forward. I'm much more comfortable with this method then sticking the syringe down their throat.

That usually works well enough for me, sometimes they'll shake their head and there might be a splash so it does take a little practice.
I syringe feed like that minus the bacon fat on the end. Shoving a syringe or tube down a chicken's throat is not something I am willing to experiment with because it can easily go to the wrong place. Chickens are such delicate creatures and I don't want to hurt them.

@AGeese

I used Roosty's Natural Dewormer pills. They can be found on Amazon. They got their last pill on the 12th.

I started deworming because I found a dropping with maybe 2 or 3 bits of roundworm in it so I started the deworming process. My sick hen was inside when the worms showed themselves.

Just noticed your last post. I've had buckeyes look worse than her and just be going through a molt (I assume) I can't really say yes there is a problem just looking at those pictures, she doesn't look bad to me. I've had a few issues with Buckeyes over the years, but that could be inexperience on my part.

So compared to your other hens she stands out to you for a crop problem that's essentially the issue? Other than appearing down and lethargic?
A crop problem is the issue I have been thinking but there have been some diagnoses of reproductive issues as well. This morning I felt her crop and it felt like it wasn't there so I am hoping the epsom salt flush I done yesterday helped.

I am assuming the lethargy and being down is from her crop situation because when they have sour crop they don't absorb nutrients like they normally would. I was just very worried because she was to the point of lethargy that I was wondering if culling would be a good thing to do. This morning she seems more aware and curious.

I think that buckeyes may just get very bad genetics easily. I lost 2/6 buckeyes I bought within a week if buying them. And I lost 1/4 of them from an unknown respiratory issue that wasn't able to be fixed by medicine. And 2/3 that are left have issues. My hen who has the crop issue and my rooster has a bad foot, I checked for bumblefoot and mites to no avail.

In my understanding, if you mix 1 tsp epsom salt in water and give to her, that's epsom salt flushing. When using a syringe to feed, you can add less water. I add 1 tsp epsom salt to 40 ml water for tube feed. I have done lots of tube feeding because the Marek's in my flock causing many cases of cancers, so I'm used to do it but am still very scared every time.

When my hen had sour crop, I heard air moving in her crop and she burped from time to time too. It's also normal for fluid coming out of her beak when you massage her. My hen's crop was finally flat without any fluid this morning, then I can feel a small grass ball in her crop. She hasn't eat any grass for a month, so it was the grass clogged her crop. She doesn't need more treatment other than probiotics and a few drops of oil, but she has to stay on baby chick feed until she passes the grass.

If your hen's crop is empty, hopefully she will recover soon. I would say her feathers look rough. Maybe keep her on chick feed to see if extra protein will help? I heard Buckeyes need more protein than other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom