Brother roosters...

Lunafarmchickens

Songster
Sep 12, 2017
I have 2, 8 week old roosters... That I know of. The leghorn mix was easy to tell from a young age, but 4 of the chicks are half silkies so, its very difficult to tell the sex with them. I just found out that I have 2 roosters today, when one of the half silkies attempted to mate with a full silkie hen. I don't know if I'll get any more boys. Now I want to know if they will fight. Of course I know roosters fight, but will it make a deference if they're brothers? I have 2 separate pens, one for the silkies and silkie mixes... and one for the big flock. the big flock pen is very large, because there is a lot more in that flock. The flocks do not get along, so when free roaming the "Little" flock knows to stay out of the way, but if a have a rooster in each flock will they fight? Currently both of the roosters are in the little flock, and they aren't fighting too bad yet... Will I have to rotate days on free roaming, or have to rehome one? Its not really an emergency right now... but I would like to know sometime soon.

Thanks for reading!

It does not matter if they are brothers - as they mature, the cockerels will fight with each other. Now, if they are separated? Well, maybe not, when they get together... I am not sure, as they are all individuals... but anyway, being brothers does not count. It won't make them like each other.

For that matter, it does not count with people either. :) There are brothers who will fight.

My silkie chicks are 13 weeks old and the boys have started to crow and fight. They’ve been brooded together. And still fight. I assume like other boys they will fight regardless of if you separate them into different flocks and free range them at the same time. I would have them free range at separate times.

It does not matter if they are brothers - as they mature, the cockerels will fight with each other. Now, if they are separated? Well, maybe not, when they get together... I am not sure, as they are all individuals... but anyway, being brothers does not count. It won't make them like each other.

For that matter, it does not count with people either. :) There are brothers who will fight.
My silkie chicks are 13 weeks old and the boys have started to crow and fight. They’ve been brooded together. And still fight. I assume like other boys they will fight regardless of if you separate them into different flocks and free range them at the same time. I would have them free range at separate times.
Thanks for the replies, I figured that they would still fight... I suppose they'll just free roam on rotating days. But are roosters like hens? when they figure out who is dominate, will the lower ranking one just keep their distance?

I think it really depends on the temperament of the boys. Most will squabble at a young age and then get more aggressive as they mature. But thus far in the instance of my Bantam Japanese, a relatively tame/docile breed, my two males spend a lot of time with each other and have since day one. They eat side by side, they sleep beside each other, they take turns with guard duty. There is very little quarreling beyond the standard pecking order nonsense, the occasional stare down or nipping at a shoulder feather when the food is being jostled for. At over 4 months old, I honestly expected more problems now that the hormones are starting to surge but I will keep them together as long as they remain this brotherly.

Watch your boys, they will tell you what they need, be it space or separation.
3FE408BA-3320-48FE-8012-9253A15E3919.jpeg

Thanks for the replies, I figured that they would still fight... I suppose they'll just free roam on rotating days. But are roosters like hens? when they figure out who is dominate, will the lower ranking one just keep their distance?

Animals are all individuals and so it can be hard to predict, but generally... male animals will constantly "push" each other, seeking for a sign of weakness. They may try and stand slightly closer to the dominant every day, or try and stand closer to the hens etc. If one rooster does the slightest thing the other perceives as weakness, the other will seize the advantage and try and move up on the social ladder. This is important to the flock, as the strongest rooster needs to rule (in nature). We might perceive it as a bad thing, but it's the reason a social group like chickens survives in the wild: the strongest, most able male animal is the head of the pecking order. The younger, weaker ones just have to wait their chance: sooner or later, the dominant rooster will get sick or injured or just plain get old, and the less dominant animal has a chance to step up and take his place. And therefore the flock always has a strong leader.

Hens will do this too, by the way. Usually though they are not quite so serious about it.

My roos are brothers, they tussle a bit over mating but never anything bad. Otherwise they get along very well.

To add, yes one of mine is dominant and has been since day one. Mostly the other respects that. The tussles come when the less dominant attempts to mate. They are 10 months old.

Make sure they have plenty of room to roam. :)

I have rooster flocks (I adopt roosters) and the boys usually get along fine, whether they were raised together or not.

The boys with flocks usually get along pretty well too.

Each of my flocks has a minimum of three roosters and LOTS of room. I think the key is LOTS of room.

Back
Top Bottom