Broody hen?

Kedwar72

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
My 8mo old hen looks like this… I found her in the nesting box and took her out and saw that her belly is bare. She was not like this yesterday. The other girls are fine and her skin isn’t inflamed. Eating and drinking fine, behavior is normal. Is she broody? If so, what do I do? We have no rooster so these eggs won’t hatch.

IMG_0785.jpeg

Here's my go-to signs of a broody:

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Here's my go-to signs of a broody:

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Thank you!! Today, she has been in the nest all day and gets very puffy and mad if I try to move her. But she’s not even sitting on an egg right now, just in there. She slept on the roost all night though. Can I do something in these early stages to stop it from getting worse?

Back
Top Bottom