Broody & Mean

Sheckleman

Hatching
Nov 27, 2022
I have a broody Delaware that started humping my Plymouth Rock and pulling out her feathers. I put her in a separate area of the backyard with her own nesting box. We pull her out of the box 3 times a day for exercise and food. When my Easter egger flew into the Delaware's area she viciously attacked the Egger. It looked like a cock fight. When I was able to pull the Egger away the Delaware was hanging on so tight that she was lifted off the ground. Is this normal behavior for a broody hen? Is there anything I should be doing to help her get back to her sweet self?

You didn't mention if you're trying to hatch or give her chicks or not. If that's the intention, her meanness might be an advantage to help defend the chicks.

If you're not hatching she should be broken for a variety of reasons, but in this case, definitely for peace in the flock.

Is chicken jail where i put her in a cage with food & water? No more nest box?
Yes, it needs to be elevated off the ground a bit to get the air flowing under her. You can put a roost in there if you want just no bedding. She needs to stay in there for 2 days to start, let her out a little before roost time, if she goes to roost it worked, if she goes back to the nest she needs to go back to the clink for a couple more days

Back
Top Bottom