Broody hen won’t move off chicks

Mar 10, 2024
Had a chick hatch yesterday. Today I can’t hear her chirp and the hen won’t move off of her. Im not sure if more hatched or not and I’m afraid they suffocated under the hen, or is this normal?

Hens will typically stay sitting for about 24 hours after chicks are born and then start slowly taking them out. The chickies should okay under her. How many eggs was she sitting on? Because there might just be taking some time to hatch and that’s why she’s still sitting :] if you are very worried you can try gently look under without disturbing still hatching eggs (if there are any more still hatching) to make sure all is well but as far as I’m concerned this is normal. As for not hearing the chick chirp it could just be sleeping or not making a noise at that time. Good luck with your hatch.

Had a chick hatch yesterday. Today I can’t hear her chirp and the hen won’t move off of her. Im not sure if more hatched or not and I’m afraid they suffocated under the hen, or is this normal?
It's normal for the hen not to move off the nest while chicks are hatching.
The hen may attampt to sit and hatch all the eggs, other hens may leave the nest after 24 to 36 hours with the chicks that have hatched and abandon the rest of the eggs no matter what the state of hatch development in the unhatched eggs.
It's also normal for the chicks to shelter under the broody hen.
You can gently slide your hand under the hen and partially lift her off the nest to check on the chicks. You will probably get pecked.

Hens will typically stay sitting for about 24 hours after chicks are born and then start slowly taking them out. The chickies should okay under her. How many eggs was she sitting on? Because there might just be taking some time to hatch and that’s why she’s still sitting :] if you are very worried you can try gently look under without disturbing still hatching eggs (if there are any more still hatching) to make sure all is well but as far as I’m concerned this is normal. As for not hearing the chick chirp it could just be sleeping or not making a noise at that time. Good luck with your hatch.
Honestly, worried yes… but in a prepared and guarded manner. With the store bought chicks I have, I’m at about a 45% mortality rate… so I’m not expecting anything. From what I hear, however, that means I’m doing about 15% better than some of my contemporaries considering the place I bought them from.

Honestly, worried yes… but in a prepared and guarded manner. With the store bought chicks I have, I’m at about a 45% mortality rate… so I’m not expecting anything. From what I hear, however, that means I’m doing about 15% better than some of my contemporaries considering the place I bought them from.
Maybe just carefully lift up her chest abit or carefully slide your hand under her to see if chirping starts?

Oh dear. Shame. Then you’ll have to just wait and see. I’m sure it’s okay 🫂
Ahh, dogs fine. Inquisitive little husky kept messing with her. Not trying to hurt the chicken or anything but Lacey had enough of it and ended running underneath the dog, pecking at her check like she was playing whack a mole. Dog freaked out, but that was the worst of it.

WELL I GOT ANSWERS!!! Had a bad rain storm coming and Lacey and the chick were pretty well in the open and had both escaped the enclosure I had them in. So I had to do something. Re set up the coop for babies. Caught the chick, caught Lacey, moved them both into the coop with the other three I hatched eggs. So chick is alive and well and we have one/four hatched. Hoping the others aren’t duds… does the mother know if they are duds?

Back
Top Bottom