BRM's Parakeet Adventure! 🦜 *What should their names be?*

Still haven't decided on names! Just learning their personalities!
PXL_20221105_231050485.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20221105_231055258.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20221105_231047475.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20221105_231044591.PORTRAIT.jpg

2CAA8D6D-9168-4CA2-A751-85326B26696B.jpeg

@Barred Rock Mama My very first female Budgie looked very much like this one. Her name was Finnie. ;)

Btw, you have 3 males and 1 female. I think the one that looks like Finnie is probably female. The other 3 are without a doubt male. (Edit: the other blue one has an element of doubt, but it looks male to me.)

I would not house her with the boys unless you get 2 more females. I see that the top photo is going through his juvenile molt, which means pretty soon the boys’ hormones will kick in, and they will begin fighting over the only female. You can house her with one of the males, and leave the other two together if you don’t want more birds at this time.

Keep in mind, when breeding budgies, they prefer to know that other budgies are breeding close by. So it works better to have 2-3 (or more) breeding pairs at once. (Caged separately- colony breeding is asking for trouble.) It seems like the only time a single pair will breed is when their owner doesn’t want them to! :gig

What worked well for me over the 12 years that I was breeding mine was to have a male cage and a female cage. Then I set up separate cages to breed one pair per cage. When I wanted to breed, I would put a pair of my own choosing into a breeding cage, and since they weren’t used to having access to any members of the opposite sex, they would pretty much begin courting and mating immediately.

Two benefits to this method were 1) it was easy to pair them up however I wanted without them having already chosen a different mate, and 2) I knew the females would not be already fertile with any unintended males. That way I could be sure of the chicks’ pedigree. If the females are housed with the males, then you need to wait at least 2 weeks once you put a pair in a breeding cage before you give them a nest box. (And throw away any eggs that are laid before the two weeks is up.)

This is assuming you care about who the father of the chicks is. If you don’t care, then you don’t have to wait.

Also, the juvenile molt usually starts between 3-5 months old, so that’s probably how old that top boy is. The rest are younger. When each one starts to molt out their forehead stripes, you can count back 3 months and pinpoint an estimated birthday for them. This is important so that you will know how long to wait before breeding them. Budgies can breed before 1 year of age, but they are less successful if you allow it. Immature birds make pretty bad parents. So you have about 10-11 months to figure out your breeding arrangements and to learn as much as you can about Budgie breeding. It will be a much more fun experience if you go into it knowing what you are doing.

(Sorry this got so long! I could give you a lot more tips, but I will stop here :p )

View attachment 3317340

@Barred Rock Mama My very first female Budgie looked very much like this one. Her name was Finnie. ;)

Btw, you have 3 males and 1 female. I think the one that looks like Finnie is probably female. The other 3 are without a doubt male. (Edit: the other blue one has an element of doubt, but it looks male to me.)

I would not house her with the boys unless you get 2 more females. I see that the top photo is going through his juvenile molt, which means pretty soon the boys’ hormones will kick in, and they will begin fighting over the only female. You can house her with one of the males, and leave the other two together if you don’t want more birds at this time.

Keep in mind, when breeding budgies, they prefer to know that other budgies are breeding close by. So it works better to have 2-3 (or more) breeding pairs at once. (Caged separately- colony breeding is asking for trouble.) It seems like the only time a single pair will breed is when their owner doesn’t want them to! :gig

What worked well for me over the 12 years that I was breeding mine was to have a male cage and a female cage. Then I set up separate cages to breed one pair per cage. When I wanted to breed, I would put a pair of my own choosing into a breeding cage, and since they weren’t used to having access to any members of the opposite sex, they would pretty much begin courting and mating immediately.

Two benefits to this method were 1) it was easy to pair them up however I wanted without them having already chosen a different mate, and 2) I knew the females would not be already fertile with any unintended males. That way I could be sure of the chicks’ pedigree. If the females are housed with the males, then you need to wait at least 2 weeks once you put a pair in a breeding cage before you give them a nest box. (And throw away any eggs that are laid before the two weeks is up.)

This is assuming you care about who the father of the chicks is. If you don’t care, then you don’t have to wait.

Also, the juvenile molt usually starts between 3-5 months old, so that’s probably how old that top boy is. The rest are younger. When each one starts to molt out their forehead stripes, you can count back 3 months and pinpoint an estimated birthday for them. This is important so that you will know how long to wait before breeding them. Budgies can breed before 1 year of age, but they are less successful if you allow it. Immature birds make pretty bad parents. So you have about 10-11 months to figure out your breeding arrangements and to learn as much as you can about Budgie breeding. It will be a much more fun experience if you go into it knowing what you are doing.

(Sorry this got so long! I could give you a lot more tips, but I will stop here :p )
Thats how I breed mine aswell my hens cant even see the males if they can they start fighting lol

Back
Top Bottom