Breeding silkied Cochin bantams to the Standard

Cochins are supposed to be really good broodys so would it be possible to run a program without an incubator and just with hens? I’m asking because we don’t actually own an incubator and we have to borrow it from a friend and I’d rather not interfere with there breeding programs😅

Cochins are supposed to be really good broodys so would it be possible to run a program without an incubator and just with hens? I’m asking because we don’t actually own an incubator and we have to borrow it from a friend and I’d rather not interfere with there breeding programs😅
If the cochins can't keep up you could always get a silkie or two, they'll try to hatch rocks 🤣

Maybe! I've found that broodiness varies a lot in Cochins. I've had some that only brood very occasionally, all the way up to some that, well, would try to hatch rocks as Castiel said! 🤭 My BBS line are more on the former side, but out of all my birds I do usually get at least a few to brood every year.

The capacity at which I hatch, I don't think I could only use broodies to do it. But if you're only wanting to hatch a few a year, you could probably get away with that via broodies if you can't get an incubator. 🙂

Maybe! I've found that broodiness varies a lot in Cochins. I've had some that only brood very occasionally, all the way up to some that, well, would try to hatch rocks as Casteil said! 🤭 My BBS line are more on the former side, but out of all my birds I do usually get at least a few to brood every year.

The capacity at which I hatch, I don't think I could only use broodies to do it. But if you're only wanting to hatch a few a year, you could probably get away with that via broodies if you can't get an incubator. 🙂
Cornish bantams and Phoenix also are stupid broody a lot of times. They're the ones I use a lot. My araucana also love it, but they're still kinda new

We've got two air-breathers this morning :wee The next batch of babies is on its way! These are more Wyatt babies (hence the W on their shells). :D

1714830467286.png
1714830490133.png

A Splash and a Blue are out so far :jumpy We've got 4 more external pips and just one more egg beyond that. I'm a bit concerned that last egg that hasn't pipped yet might be malpositioned, so I'm just hoping for the best on it :fl

1714863309870.png

We've got 6 little peeps out this morning! Looks like 4 Splashes and 2 Blues! 🥰 The seventh sadly did not make it. Upon opening the end just to confirm whether or not my suspicion about it was right, I found that the little one was, in fact, in the correct position after all. I now think, since that egg was a bit skinnier than the rest of them, that the chick simply couldn't move like it needed to to externally pip. 🙁

But, I've still got 6 more precious little Wyatt babies that did make it out. :love Here are the two that hatched yesterday:

1714915820497.png

1714915894672.png

And the four that hatched overnight:

1714916138450.png
1714916168613.png

Y'all remember when I used to never get Splash babies? 🤣 Anyway, we're all out in the brooder now, leg banded, and resting up from our tough night of hatching. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom