Breeding questions

The mostly-black hen should give chicks that are about the same color she is.

The blue hen (gray all over) should give blue chicks and black chicks.

Of course the Light Brahma hen will give Light Brahma chicks.

All chicks should have pea combs (nice tidy pea combs if both parents have pea combs, bigger and less-tidy combs if the mother has a single comb.)

All chicks should have feathered feet (more feathers if both parents have feathered feet, less feathers if only one parent has feathered feet.)
Last question I promise, what happens if i breed my rooster with white leghorn?

Last question I promise, what happens if i breed my rooster with white leghorn?
You get white chicks, probably with a few black dots here and there.

Feathered feet and pea combs, just like from the other crosses, but chicks with a Leghorn mother may grow up to have larger combs than chicks with other mothers.

You get white chicks, probably with a few black dots here and there.

Feathered feet and pea combs, just like from the other crosses, but chicks with a Leghorn mother may grow up to have larger combs than chicks with other mothers.
Honestly mostly i want buff color

Honestly mostly i want buff color
With that rooster, you will not get any buff colored chicks. I am assuming he has two copies of the Silver gene, based on both his appearance and what is normal in Light Brahmas even when they are poor quality. When he has two Silver genes, he gives one to each chick. Because Silver is dominant over gold, no chicks will show gold, not even when their mother does. The gold gene is needed for buff chickens, and also for gold or red chickens.

You could hatch eggs from the buff or gold hens, then keep one of the males.
Use that new male with the buff or gold hens, and you should get some chicks that show buff or gold and some that show silver. Use that same new male on your Light Brahma hen and you should get some daughters that show buff or gold and some that show silver, but all sons will show silver.

The White Leghorn hen will give white chicks with any rooster, no matter what color the rooster is.

The blue hen and the hen that is mostly black, I don't know for sure if they can give chicks other than black or blue. If they give chicks with lots of Silver (white) from this rooster, then they could give chicks with lots of buff or gold when bred to a rooster that has the gold gene (like a son of a gold hen.)

With that rooster, you will not get any buff colored chicks. I am assuming he has two copies of the Silver gene, based on both his appearance and what is normal in Light Brahmas even when they are poor quality. When he has two Silver genes, he gives one to each chick. Because Silver is dominant over gold, no chicks will show gold, not even when their mother does. The gold gene is needed for buff chickens, and also for gold or red chickens.

You could hatch eggs from the buff or gold hens, then keep one of the males.
Use that new male with the buff or gold hens, and you should get some chicks that show buff or gold and some that show silver. Use that same new male on your Light Brahma hen and you should get some daughters that show buff or gold and some that show silver, but all sons will show silver.

The White Leghorn hen will give white chicks with any rooster, no matter what color the rooster is.

The blue hen and the hen that is mostly black, I don't know for sure if they can give chicks other than black or blue. If they give chicks with lots of Silver (white) from this rooster, then they could give chicks with lots of buff or gold when bred to a rooster that has the gold gene (like a son of a gold hen.)
That leghorn gave me blue chick last year

That leghorn gave me blue chick last year
If it gave you a blue chick, then it definitely can give non-white chicks.

Then it is probably a Leghorn mix of some kind, rather than a pure White Leghorn. Purebred White Leghorns generally have a combination of dominant genes that cause all chicks to be solid black, and then Dominant White to turn all the black into white. Obviously your hen did not give Dominant White to the blue chick (because the chick is blue not white.)

Now I don't know what else might be unusual in the genetics of your "White Leghorn" hen.

If it gave you a blue chick, then it definitely can give non-white chicks.

Then it is probably a Leghorn mix of some kind, rather than a pure White Leghorn. Purebred White Leghorns generally have a combination of dominant genes that cause all chicks to be solid black, and then Dominant White to turn all the black into white. Obviously your hen did not give Dominant White to the blue chick (because the chick is blue not white.)

Now I don't know what else might be unusual in the genetics of your "White Leghorn" hen.
Will brahma roo mate 5 hens normal ? If yes then I would add that “leghorn” too

Back
Top Bottom