Breeding questions

Rare

Songster
Jun 8, 2023
I am planning to collect eggs from this hen and rooster. What possible colours will they produce? Will offsprings have feathered legs and pea combs?
Rooster is bad quality light brahma and hen is backyard mix.
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0048.jpeg

I am planning to collect eggs from this hen and rooster. What possible colours will they produce? Will offsprings have feathered legs and pea combs?
Rooster is bad quality light brahma and hen is backyard mix.
View attachment 3808326View attachment 3808327

Yes, chicks should have pea combs and feathered legs.

The "pea combs" of the chicks will probably be larger than the combs of pure Brahmas, and may look blobby or oddly shaped.

The chicks' leg feathering will probably be less than the amount their father has.

Regarding color:
About half the chicks will probably look white. I think the other half will look about like the father (white with black patterning). The "white" in both sets may have a yellowish shade rather than a nice clean white, and they may have red or gold leakage in places as they grow up (especially in the shoulders of males and the breasts of females.)

Genetic reasons for the coloring:
Both parents have the Columbian color pattern, so the chicks should have it too. The areas that are gold on the hen are white on the rooster because he has the Silver gene (which is dominant, so it is the one the chicks will show.) The areas that are black on the rooster are white on the hen because she has the Dominant White gene (which is dominant so it is the one the chicks will show if they inherit it, but I think she only has one copy of that gene so only half of the chicks will inherit it from her.)

The "pea combs" of the chicks will probably be larger than the combs of pure Brahmas, and may look blobby or oddly shaped.

The chicks' leg feathering will probably be less than the amount their father has.

Regarding color:
About half the chicks will probably look white. I think the other half will look about like the father (white with black patterning). The "white" in both sets may have a yellowish shade rather than a nice clean white, and they may have red or gold leakage in places as they grow up (especially in the shoulders of males and the breasts of females.)

Both parents have the Columbian color pattern, so the chicks should have it too. The areas that are gold on the hen are white on the rooster because he has the Silver gene (which is dominant, so it is the one the chicks will show.) The areas that are black on the rooster are white on the hen because she has the Dominant White gene (which is dominant so it is the one the chicks will show if they inherit it, but I think she only has one copy of that gene so only half of the chicks will inherit it from her.)
Thank u so much, what Columbian colour my chicken have?

Regarding color:

What colours will i get if i replace hen
IMG_0052.jpeg

What colours will i get if i replace henView attachment 3808374
If you use that hen with the black tail, all of the chicks will be colored similar to your rooster (pattern of black and white.) As the chicks grow up, the "white" may look yellowish and may have some leakage of red or gold color, rather than the clean white appearance shown by the current Light Brahma rooster.

Thank u so much, what Columbian colour my chicken have?
"Columbian" is the name for the color pattern of a Light Brahma chicken.
When the same pattern has gold instead of silver (like on Buff Brahmas), we usually call it "Buff Columbian."

The hens you have are showing the same basic pattern (black pushed to the ends of the chicken: tail, wingtips, sometimes around the base of the neck), with one of your hens having the black visible and the other has Dominant White turning the black into white.

If you use that hen with the black tail, all of the chicks will be colored similar to your rooster (pattern of black and white.) As the chicks grow up, the "white" may look yellowish and may have some leakage of red or gold color, rather than the clean white appearance shown by the current Light Brahma rooster.
Will collect 15 eggs from this family and put under my broody hen🥰
IMG_0054.jpeg
IMG_0053.jpeg

"Columbian" is the name for the color pattern of a Light Brahma chicken.
When the same pattern has gold instead of silver (like on Buff Brahmas), we usually call it "Buff Columbian."

The hens you have are showing the same basic pattern (black pushed to the ends of the chicken: tail, wingtips, sometimes around the base of the neck), with one of your hens having the black visible and the other has Dominant White turning the black into white.
And please if you will got free time tell me about what offsprings will i get from black cochin/brahma, bad quality light brahma and the other hen (cochin/brahma)

Will collect 15 eggs from this family and put under my broody hen🥰 View attachment 3808386View attachment 3808387
The mostly-black hen should give chicks that are about the same color she is.

The blue hen (gray all over) should give blue chicks and black chicks.

Of course the Light Brahma hen will give Light Brahma chicks.

All chicks should have pea combs (nice tidy pea combs if both parents have pea combs, bigger and less-tidy combs if the mother has a single comb.)

All chicks should have feathered feet (more feathers if both parents have feathered feet, less feathers if only one parent has feathered feet.)

The mostly-black hen should give chicks that are about the same color she is.

The blue hen (gray all over) should give blue chicks and black chicks.

Of course the Light Brahma hen will give Light Brahma chicks.

All chicks should have pea combs (nice tidy pea combs if both parents have pea combs, bigger and less-tidy combs if the mother has a single comb.)

All chicks should have feathered feet (more feathers if both parents have feathered feet, less feathers if only one parent has feathered feet.)
Thank u so much ❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

Back
Top Bottom