Breeders of heritage meet birds

nikoleb

Chirping
Dec 2, 2015
Does anyone out there raise and breed their own heritage meat birds and can ship and sell them as chicks? I heard the heritage breeders have a lot better stock than the hatcheries. I am in Idaho.

Are you on Facebook? If you're looking for standard bred birds (that's what heritage birds are) you can join the American Poultry Association page and that will put you in touch with all sorts of breeders all over the country.

Yes, standard bred birds are almost always larger than their hatchery versions. Myself, I breed Barred Plymouth Rocks and the males dress out around 4lbs at 18 weeks, and I'm fairly happy with that. I'm going to try to improve on it a bit as I go.

Can always check out the NPIP website by state:
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

They use stock codes. Look to the left on the link above to find the stock codes. Heritage breeds (like, say Black Jersey Giant) would be listed separately from something like a Cornish Cross, so scroll through the stock codes (alphabetical is most helpful for your search).

Here are the Letter codes and what they mean:
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 11.13.38 AM.png

If they have them available Sandhill Preservation Center has some decent Delawares, and many others, Dorkings etc, read their site though, they are not the easiest to order from.
Eight Acres Farm in Gainsville FL has some awesome German New Hampshire's that many on BYC have, beautiful meaty birds. I heard her Delawares were bigger and grew faster though. Not sure if she still has them I'm thinking last time I was on her site I didn't see them. She also has a couple good lines of heritage Barred Rock that look decent.

Taste is a matter of opinion IMHO. While I like my heritage birds I don't mind CX. I just don't like raising CX. Naked Neck Turkens are my preferred bird now days. Not real big but meaty, and half the feathers to pluck, and no hair to singe, they are smooth skinned, tender even on the grill.
With heritage birds keep in mind they are more $$ to feed to process weight, for less weight and smaller breasts, but those of us that raise them don't mind.

Edit; Eight Acres has a website, but also is on FB.
Anyone I've heard that has ordered from her has had good luck.

Eight Acres Farm in Gainsville FL has some awesome German New Hampshire's that many on BYC have, beautiful meaty birds. I heard her Delawares were bigger and grew faster though. Not sure if she still has them I'm thinking last time I was on her site I didn't see them. She also has a couple good lines of heritage Barred Rock that look decent.
Someone just posted recently that she no longer has New Hampshires, sadly.

Thanks for the info! Where did you get your turkens from? I read they were good for meat, but they are ugly, might make it easier to eat them though ;)
Mine are just hatchery. Had a lot of people tell me Cackle had the best one's so that's who I went with. Great layers. They aren't super big, I process about the time cockerels start crowing, they'll be just shy of 4lbs dressed , pullets then about 2.5 lbs dressed. I always thought they were ugly and never wanted them but now that I have them I think they are the coolest, and the chicks super cute.
I've crossed my white one's with white jersey giant's, still naked necks but with bowties. Going to breed them back to clean neck NNs and then eventually cross them with CX.

Back
Top Bottom