Break my heart thread - Cockerels or Pullets?

And… These are Moss Eggers from Alchemist Farms…
Polka Dot, Quiche & Soufflé
Would be ironic & hilarious if the two egg recipe names I doled out to my chicks, ended up being cockerels. 😂
Thank you for your input!!
I recognize I’m too biased to tell the difference! I even looked at the feather sexing videos. I tried… just can’t tell. 🤷🏼‍♀️
This is my first time, so go easy on me! 😋😂
Do you have a a Update on Pullets or Cockerels on your Marans and Moss Eggers?
Was going to order off Alchemist Farm.

I would suggest against buying from Alchemist Farm. I ordered from them, and it was the absolute worst hatchery experience I’ve had, and not once, TWICE. I’ve gotten chicks with crossbeaks, crooked toes, and all sorts of other problems, and don’t forget all the chicks that were dead or dying upon arrival. It just doesn’t make sense to deal with all that for an extremely expensive price when you can order from a good hatchery that offers healthy, well bred chicks for a more reasonable price. I will never be purchasing from them again, and I would strongly suggest against you buying from them as well.

I would suggest against buying from Alchemist Farm. I ordered from them, and it was the absolute worst hatchery experience I’ve had, and not once, TWICE. I’ve gotten chicks with crossbeaks, crooked toes, and all sorts of other problems, and don’t forget all the chicks that were dead or dying upon arrival. It just doesn’t make sense to deal with all that for an extremely expensive price when you can order from a good hatchery that offers healthy, well bred chicks for a more reasonable price. I will never be purchasing from them again, and I would strongly suggest against you buying from them as well.
I believe there is a thread here about them, right?

I’m sorry that was your experience!
That was not my experience, at all. Francesca was extremely helpful… and I guarantee I was quite annoying, as a new chicken mom!
All chicks survived (from CA to FL), even after getting lost in the mail. One had a tendon issue after a couple days, but healed completely. And one got Cocci (I assume) and was better just after being treated. None of the other of 10 chicks seemed to be effected by Cocci. But I treated them all, as soon as I saw that one chick struggling the third day of taking a “field trip” out to the coop.
They seem to be very robust chicks! It’s surprising to me how different of an experience you had, twice! 🤔

I do not. Others here said take a picture of the two Moss Eggers in question in two weeks. It has not been two weeks yet. I tried looking at their vents. I really do not know what I’m looking for. 🤷🏼‍♀️
The Marans are both pullets. One Moss Egger is a cockerel, but the community here & Franchesca (the owner of Alchemist Farm) is not sure about the other two Moss Eggers. Could go either way.

I do not. Others here said take a picture of the two Moss Eggers in question in two weeks. It has not been two weeks yet. I tried looking at their vents. I really do not know what I’m looking for. 🤷🏼‍♀️
The Marans are both pullets. One Moss Egger is a cockerel, but the community here & Franchesca (the owner of Alchemist Farm) is not sure about the other two Moss Eggers. Could go either way.
Here are the pics over two week update…
I’m thinking all 3 Moss Eggers are Cockerels.
They are 12 weeks old today.

Attachments

• CDA9B295-34D5-4AFD-BE73-2A6F7FE9C6B2.jpeg
    CDA9B295-34D5-4AFD-BE73-2A6F7FE9C6B2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 8F7D977C-A183-4261-B19D-47FEA7F08AC3.jpeg
    8F7D977C-A183-4261-B19D-47FEA7F08AC3.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 26
Those two are cockerels.
Yup… that’s’s what I’m thinking too. 🤷🏼‍♀️
They actually started “crowing” recently. But it’s not a decent rooster crow. It sounds like a strangulation is taking place. Pretty pathetic. And the one everyone agreed was a rooster… he has not crowed at all, from what I’ve seen.

Back
Top Bottom