Blue Slate x Black Spanish = ?

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
Would it be considered a mix breed or pure, since the Black was used to create the Slate? I have the chance to buy two, two week old chicks of this breeding for $10 each. Is this a good price?

Yes it would be a mix.And if you can aford it , it is a good price. I sell my pure b for $7 here.

Last edited:
Is $10 a lot for a 2 week old mixed turkey chick?
Sorry, didn't see the rest of your post before I replied.

Last edited:
If you want them get them , make him a offer. All thay can say is no.That is what I do all the time and it works 99% of the time.

Newly hatched, I've seen them go from $7-10. For a two week old, I would say that's reasonable, even for a mix.

BTW, the black used to breed blue slate is from blues themselves. When breeding blue slate, you get three colors: black, blue, and blue slate. If I recall correctly, true Black Spanish also have black legs and feet. Black from blue slate will have pinkish ones.

I have ended up with quite a few mixed poults the past couple of years due to not getting my breeds seperated early enough and the poults sell like hotcakes around here.

Thanks. So, even though the black was used to create the slate, and you can get blue, black, or splash from blues, the black x slate is a mix?

How early can you sex turkeys?

Technically, yes, if it is a true Black Spanish. The only true difference I can see is the genetics for the color.

As far as sexing, it takes someone who has dealt with them for years to be able to sex poults accurately. The guy I bought three from last year told me just from the size of the baby snood that I had two females and one male. Incredibly, he was right. I've been able to do this a few times, but I think my guesses were just good ones.
hmm.png

Supposedly, the males have a slightly larger snood than the females, but that's pretty hard to tell definitively before they start to mature. I can usually tell from the snood by the time they're 3 or 4 months old.

Thanks, Stacey.
I may end up going with hatching eggs instead, as I can get 'more for my money' (sell the extra chicks). Is hatching turkeys much harder than chickens?

Back
Top Bottom