Blu-Kote or Wound-Kote: Should be fine?

R_Chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
I've used Blu-Kote for years on horses, but now for chickens?

I saw some posts that warn against it and it perplexes me.

Here's what I know.

From MSDS: http://www.mws-d.com/images/PDF/26069.pdf

Ingredients
: Isopropyl Alcohol, and Gentian violet
Propellant: Isobutane, butane, propane

We all know isopropyl alcohol. Sure we wouldn't ingest it directly, but it evaporates quickly and a simple rinsing removes it from the surface.

Gentian violet: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600723
Gentian violet belongs to the group of medicines called antifungals. Topical gentian violet is used to treat some types of fungus infections inside the mouth (thrush) and of the skin.

Gentian violet is available without a prescription

Not sure I'd soak a chicken in it or use the immediate blue area if I had to butcher after an unsuccessful treatment, but I don't see a problem using it as a treatment for chickens- especially those who will recover ?

Don't confuse this with the "Not for use on animals used for food production" warning. I think this means don't ingest it. (As opposed to something like the die used to stamp beef)

Anyone have other info?

- JC​

Many members here use it on chickens, including me on occasion. Have never read of any problems with it here.

Thanks for the info.

My DW just returned with a can of Farnam Wound-Kote (different than Blu-Kote I guess)

It has Technical Furfural, Acriflavin, and Propylene Glycol. These are things I didn't see in the online MSDS for Blu-Kote.

I don't think I'll use Wound-Kote. Maybe see if I can find Blu-Kote.

Opinions on the differences?

- JC

As long as either one is safe for livestock and dogs, why not chickens?? I recently had a standard sized cochin that set continuously it seemed.. I saw her off the nest and there were flies buzzing her.
I got her down and saw why. Apparently an egg had broken and got over her backside. Combined with the feathers and she had small maggots on her. I quickly trimmed off all surrounding feathers on bottom.
Used hose and soft brush to scrub her behind. Then picked off the remaining maggots and black crusty stuff.
Only a small area but with the maggots they could have quickly eaten her up! I used the blu-kote spray lightly on her bum. Keeping her in basement till she heals up completely.

Back
Top Bottom