Blackhead?

Loverofthechickies

In the Brooder
May 7, 2021
Hope someone can help me out!

Mt husband noticed our red bourbon Tom acting strange. He is usually load and in your face. However yesterday he kept away from the others, sleeping all day.

Today he is drinking but I haven't noticed him eating.

His poo is yellow as well. Could this be blackhead? I ordered antibiotics just in case it is. Right now I am giving him cayenne pepper in his food and water.

Any advice would help!

No local or nearby bird vets unfortunately.
1000003060.jpg

Cayenne pepper doesn't work to treat blackhead in my experience. I had two birds die last summer while on cayenne. You need metronidazole, and if you don't start it soon you likely will lose the tom. I have treated birds with metronidazole only and have been successful if that's all you can find. In very ill birds, especially when they are younger I do dose also with baytril but metronidazole is crucial to treat blackhead. If you can find an aquarium store that sells metronidazole for aquariums, you can go that route. Otherwise, maybe get some rush delivery online.

Hi there, sorry he's sick. It sure could be blackhead. Did you purchase metronidazole & enrofloxacin? You will need both, and you should deworm him too with fenbendazole.

How much does he weigh?
I ordered some metronidazole and I have safe guard. He's about 20-25 pounds. I'll have to get some enrofloxacin.

I just hope the meds make it here in time.

I appreciate your help!

Cayenne pepper doesn't work to treat blackhead in my experience. I had two birds die last summer while on cayenne. You need metronidazole, and if you don't start it soon you likely will lose the tom. I have treated birds with metronidazole only and have been successful if that's all you can find. In very ill birds, especially when they are younger I do dose also with baytril but metronidazole is crucial to treat blackhead. If you can find an aquarium store that sells metronidazole for aquariums, you can go that route. Otherwise, maybe get some rush delivery online.
I was afraid of this. No fish stores near me but I did order the other stuff! Going to try my best.

Actually found a fish store by where I work and they have the powder form of metronidazole. I will pick up some when I get off. I did deworm him yesterday with safeguard. Do I worm him every day or await 10 days?

Actually found a fish store by where I work and they have the powder form of metronidazole. I will pick up some when I get off. I did deworm him yesterday with safeguard. Do I worm him every day or await 10 days?
I repeat it again in 10 days. If the powder form of metronidazole you're buying is the 20% packs the dose is 1 tsp per gallon of water. I dose young birds with the powder form in their water. With older birds that require a higher dosage, I like to dose orally with tablets so you will have to know the concentration of the powder to know how much to give him. The dosage is 30-60 mg per kg daily for at least 5 days.

I repeat it again in 10 days. If the powder form of metronidazole you're buying is the 20% packs the dose is 1 tsp per gallon of water. I dose young birds with the powder form in their water. With older birds that require a higher dosage, I like to dose orally with tablets so you will have to know the concentration of the powder to know how much to give him. The dosage is 30-60 mg per kg daily for at least 5 days.
Thanks so much for the information! I hope this helps him! If not, unfortunately now I know. I appreciate the help from everyone!

Back
Top Bottom