Black spots on comb - not sure if it's frostbite.

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Recently I've noticed small black dots our chicken's combs. All of our chickens that are the lightweight type breed (Hyline browns, they're called) have them. Their body build is similar to that of a leghorn, but their combs vary in sizes. We have some whose combs are fairly small and others who are a bit smaller then a leghorn's.
The black spots are on multipule spots on the comb, not just the tip, although some birds have a little black on the tips.

Also, the one with the biggest comb (enough to flop over a bit) has a pale area on her comb in the top corner.

Are these signs of frostbite? We have them in the coop (with a heat lamp) for the days that are under 25 degrees farenheight, and they don't show sick signs like moping around or droopy tails or anything, and other than a small tint of pink on their feet, their feet look fine.

Thanks!

It could be frostbite and some pecking, but pictures would be helpful. Heat lamps start coop fires every year and can be dangerous. I have used them when temps get down to zero, but they should not need them when it is closer to 20-25. I double secure my lamps and wrap the cords around a 2x4 rafter, so they can’t be knocked down. If you close off any direct drafts, but keep some overhead ventilation, most chickens will do alright down to zero. I do not treat comb frostbite with sprays, creams, or ointments, since those can freeze and do more harm.

It could be frostbite and some pecking, but pictures would be helpful. Heat lamps start coop fires every year and can be dangerous. I have used them when temps get down to zero, but they should not need them when it is closer to 20-25. I double secure my lamps and wrap the cords around a 2x4 rafter, so they can’t be knocked down. If you close off any direct drafts, but keep some overhead ventilation, most chickens will do alright down to zero. I do not treat comb frostbite with sprays, creams, or ointments, since those can freeze and do more harm.

Back
Top Bottom