Black Copper Marans question white on wings?

dave27889

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Washington, NC
I have a black Jersey giant mixed in with my Black Copper Marans. I see the BJG has yellow feet. My question is do BCMs have any white on their wings? I have 1 that has a small white almost spot on it's wing. I know BJGs have a small white bit on their wings. I am trying to seperate my chickens as they are almost 4 months old and need to seperate them before they start mateing and laying. I have just ordered a book on the subject of chicken Id. looking forward to your help. Thanks, Dave

Oh, Dave, I hear ya!
barnie.gif
I did the same thing, and had an awful time! I will look for some of my pictures at that age, and maybe that will help. It will take me a little while, but I will get back to ya.

The Jersey Giants should have yellow on the BOTTOMS of their feet. Now, if they are hatchery stock, they may not have this.

That is exactly where this one has the white at. I am so glad you wrote back. Thanks again for the help everyone. I don't know why the others don't have the white place. They all have feathered legs.

Dave~
The bottoms of the Marans feet should be pinkish...this should help you identify them a little easier. Are the BCM not showing any signs of copper yet?

Quote:
The BJG shouldn't have feathered legs so that should be a big help.

The white on the wing tip on the Marans should molt out like Chooks stated.

Yea I saw where they have pinish feet. The copper is just showing on them but mine are in the open and they run all around. The BJ Giants don't have feathers on their feet but 2 of the Marans I have don't have feathers either. they were from different eggs and I might be letting them go some where else depending on if they turn out to be roosters or hens. The rooster that I know for sure is a BCM is getting huge for 4 months old. He tried crowing for the first time this morning and it was pityful. I have a Delaware rooster and 3 small OEG bantams and none of them have tried to crow, One of the bantams has feathered legs and is really pretty. I wish I knew what he was. The other 2 are nice looking one is kinda slate blue and the other looks like a bantam Delawre but not quite.
The copper on the hens is just showing but their feet are pink where as the feet on the BJ giants have yellow on the bottom of their feet and no feathers. I just hatched out 3 BCMs and they all have feathers on their feet. I have some Blues, splash and some wheatons and almost all of them have feathered legs. What do you guys think about the 2 that don, have feathered feet. Should I keep them or let them go some where else. I have about 25 marans of 4 different types and only those 2 don't have feathered feet that I truly knoiw of. I am almost sure they are hens. I have about 4 males that I am sure of and maybe 1 of the chicks that just hatched is a male. That would give me 1 each a male in the blue, the splash , the wheaton and at least 2 in the BCM. The blue rooster is only about 5 weeks old but I swear he almost glows. he is friendly and I think he grows aeach and every day. he also loves to eat. he is always ready when I refill the feeders.
Please let me know what you think about keeping the hens with no feathers on their legs. I may even make a post asking about it. thanks everyone

If you have a roo with feathered legs you can breed it to your unfeathered hens. Leg feathers are supposed to be dominant I believe so it shouldn't be too hard to get chicks with feathered legs.

That is what I had heard. I also heard that egg color goes with the Rooster. The hens I have that don't have feathered legs are really sweet and they come to me. The others are okay but are a little hesitent.

Back
Top Bottom