bizarre behavior, anybody else have ducks who do this?

Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
orange county
My ducks drink from the hose if I spray it in their yard...its really odd, first they run away and panic then they all come to get in the spraying water put their heads in the air, stretch out their necks and appear to be drinking or talking silently; Its so funny to see them, they look like they're speaking to me, but I'm pretty sure they are drinking the water droplets that fall in their mouth. I haven't come across anybody talking about this behavior before on here...Does anybody have ducks that do this...or do you not spray your ducks with the hose!?

Mine do that too. When I refill their pool I give them a hose shower and they stick their faces straight up, and open their mouths. They seem to really like it.

Last edited:
Mine do the same! I put the hose on shower until they get used to it and they put their heads in the air and catch the drops. I then turn the hose on jet and spray their bellies like a fire hose and they just stand there and LOVE IT!!!! They run back and forth and in and out of it like 2 kids going through a sprinkler for the first time!

I bet that is really cute
lol.png

We play hose the duckies. They love a good shower. They drink a bit of the water, but mostly let it flow over them, spread their wings, and preen. You would think cold water would bother them, but they don't care, I guess very little of it contacts their skin anyway.

Lol..yes, I cannot resist spraying for them...they quack like crazy when they see me coming with the hose...it is the cutest thing when they "catch" it,isn't it?

Only my Pekin does that. The other three act like it is acid coming from the hose not water! My first two, my Blue Swedish, LOVED being sprayed. They would stand and flap and just adored it. These three, not so much.

Our large ducks and geese chase the sprinklers as the different zones turn on and off. Don't turn on a hose near them, they tample each other to be the closests to the water. LoL

Quote:
Oh my gosh, I'm putting in sprinklers now! I have them in the front yard so far but they can't go out there until we put up a wall... Now I can't wait!
Why are ducks so entertaining! Thankfully the heat is keeping me inside now, I spent all spring transfixed on their every move... I wish Ihad always had ducks...now I have the rest of my life I guess. Speaking of which...My ducks are preening in their water bucket now...I can't stop watching....need to get things done today!

Back
Top Bottom