Best methods to keep dogs from digging under fence?

LilReddBurd

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
Florida
So in short my neighbors lied. Their dogs had managed to get into our yard before and kill some of our flock, and we told them they can "fix" the problem by extending their fence into the ground to prevent this from happening again. When we asked TWICE if they took care of it, they said yes and that they even added buried cinderblocks to discourage digging.

Well that was not true because the hole I found into our yard was hardly even a hole, just deep enough to slide under their fence and then ours. So, I will be taking matters into my own hands and billing them for the materials.

Now here is what I would like to know. My flock is small and like pets to me, so when a bird gets mauled it is particularly devistating and personal. I want to make sure these dogs won't get back into my yard. Current idea is buying wire and boards to dig about 2ft. deep, secure it to the bottom of my fence and then boards at the bottom of the hole, and placing blocks on those boards to make sure theyre not moving if pushed against. I think this should be enough, but a friend suggested running an electric fence between my and my neighbor's fence (we have a very small gap between my wooden fence and her chain linked). My thoughts that are if the dog is digging, the electric fence wont do much if it has to be above ground.

I am open to several ideas, so please let me know what yall think.

friend suggested running an electric fence between my and my neighbor's fence (we have a very small gap between my wooden fence and her chain linked).

I am open to several ideas, so please let me know what yall think.
How small of a gap... Can you walk through the area? If not, maintaining the area, keeping it weed free to keep the fencer working at its best will be difficult.

Are the dogs friendly? if so put them on a leash and call animal control or the sheriff. If they have to pay to get the dog back, it's going to send a message very quickly. A squit gun filled with skunk spray would definitely get your neighbors attention.
Document EVERYTHING. Pics, dates, phone calls, ECT.
Hopefully they will get the hint, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
I have found shooting nails through the perimeter points facing out a good deterrent. I space them about every six inches..

Current idea is buying wire and boards to dig about 2ft. deep, secure it to the bottom of my fence and then boards at the bottom of the hole, and placing blocks on those boards to make sure theyre not moving if pushed against.

The guys from Carolina Coops state that they put down a 2 foot predator apron on the ground - you can cover it with dirt - and that is just as effective as digging the wire 2 feet down. Evidently, digging animals don't want to dig long tunnels because they know they might get trapped in that situation. A predator apron would be a lot less effort to lay down then digging deep into the ground.

I had a situation with some visiting neighbors out here where I live on a lake. I had to walk their dog back to their house three times and ask them nicely to watch their dog so it would not get my chickens. They did watch their dog better and I did not have continued problems - and then they went back home after their 2 week vacation. Fortunately, my chicken run defenses were good enough to slow down the dog for me to go outside and put the dog on a rope, or walk her back home. I think it would have been a different story if my chickens were allowed to free range.

Landscape staples and cinder blocks can be used help hold the the edges down. Cover the hardware cloth with compost to make a raised bed.

Attachments

• WP_20210814_15_56_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210814_15_56_45_Pro.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 19
Spiked garden hose bro.

I had a pit bull attack and almost dig under my coop fence. I found a couple old sections of half-rotted garden hose and drove a bazillion nails through it. Halfway buried it at base of fencing, further reinforced with some wire to hold it in place. Took a while to make hose and secure it, but I've had it there for years now and nothing tries to dig.

Nail spikes face outwards and down - very wicked to anything that attacks. An extreme defensive measure but one that works. Anything that digs will get a wicked poke.

I have found shooting nails through the perimeter points facing out a good deterrent. I space them about every six inches..
Shameful. The dogs would have to be injured pretty severely and probably multiple times for them to stay away from those nails.

Spiked garden hose bro.

I had a pit bull attack and almost dig under my coop fence. I found a couple old sections of half-rotted garden hose and drove a bazillion nails through it. Halfway buried it at base of fencing, further reinforced with some wire to hold it in place. Took a while to make hose and secure it, but I've had it there for years now and nothing tries to dig.

Nail spikes face outwards and down - very wicked to anything that attacks. An extreme defensive measure but one that works. Anything that digs will get a wicked poke.
Gross. Take that energy you put into coming up with booby traps that injure animals into simply securing your own flock or don't free range.

Back
Top Bottom