Best Hygrometer and Thermometer

Huh.. odd I also bought three of them from walmart and they are to the tee with each other and within a degree of house therm.. which can also be off. I am not saying they are the best, but they have given me 3 hatches with great success.
Quote:

I think they may start out fine then later on, become less accurate, especially if you put the entire unit in the incubator and get water vapor inside the AcuRite. Mine's readings have changed. One is now 10% off on humidity and a degree off on the unit temp reading, though the probes in both seem to be more on target. The thing is, you really don't know for sure when they'll let you down, not being made for anything except household use.

I received my Spot-Check (was called Egg-Temp in the catalog, but same unit, different name) thermometer today. It works beautifully! Very sensitive, goes up and down in tenths of a degree. My Hovabator is cycling on when air temp gets down to 98.7 (the temp drops to 98.4 before starting back up). It then cycles off at 100.3 and the temp continues to climb to 100.7 after the heater cycles off and then the temp begins to drop back down. I do still have an AcuRite probe in the water weasel and it's staying between 99.1 and 100.2 or so.
I feel very sure of the Spot-Check's accuracy. It's a small unit with a lead that goes down into one of the vent holes and we've placed it to where it sits at the upper third of the eggs in the turner. Comes with a battery in it and I bought the pack of 4 extra batteries. I'll take a picture of it and show you the size.

Here it is. Sorry about the flash glare-my house is really dark right now:
DCP_4025.jpg

DCP_4024.jpg

Cool thanks for the information ill try the spot check out.

BTW Where did you get it from did you get if from GQF or in a store??

I just have to say.... and I'm not being snarky, okay- a hydrometer measures specific density of a liquid- a hygrometer measures relative humidity.

What you want is a thermometer/hygrometer combination. I have an electronic one from GQF, it has been pretty accurate. But I also use backups, being a belt and suspenders type! An important note about the electronic ones- make sure you always have fresh batteries on hand.

smile.png

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=151

I
got two of these and they read true to each other, though I also use an old Accurite and a bulb thermometer. I don't trust any of them 100%, but so far they seem to be working.

I am giving serious thought to speckledhen's Spot-Check! I really think the probe type would last longer overall.

I should add GQF gave me a discount on these because I also bought an incubator and egg turner. All arrived the next day! I am close to them, but the shipping was cheaper than it would have cost to drive there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom